How to Find Rhinoplasty Expert?

How do I find a plastic surgeon experienced in nose tip Rhinoplasty? I am interested in tip rhinoplasty. How do I begin the process of looking for a plastic surgeon who is experienced in this procedure?

Numbers can be misleading.

+3

Don't necessarily fall prey to the trap of "how many has the surgeon done" question. First of all, there's no way for a prospective patient to verify whatever number the surgeon or his/her staff quotes. But, secondly, quantity doesn't necessarily mean quality.

That said, experience is important. You can verify years in practice, for example. You can verify board certification (i.e., the American Board of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery's website has a "Who's Certified" section). Both of these speak to some degree of experience.

I, too, think that before and after photos are important. Every surgeon has an aesthetic style. Does your potential surgeon's results look natural and esthetically pleasing? Do they all look formulaic and "cookie-cutter" or are they customized to each patient's face? Are the photos shot with attention to detail such as consistent lighting, patient positioning, scale, and background so that you can really see details of the results? If the photography looks haphazard and inconsistent, it indicates a lack of attention to detail in general. Worse, the surgeon maybe trying to conceal problems with the results by using tiny images, or out-of-focus images, or inconsistently lit images.

None of these factors, though, can guarantee a perfect outcome, but it's a place to start.

And don't forget to check the state's medical board if you're here in the U.S. (Most states have this info online and it's free. Just google something like "florida licence lookup" for example).

--DCP

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Experience and before and after photos

+2

It is very important to find a rhinoplasty surgeon who is very experienced in rhinoplasty surgeries. Rhinoplasty is a discipline all and of itself, and there are many surgeons who dedicate their whole lives to performing excellent rhinoplasty procedures. It is important that the surgeon has performed thousands of nasal surgeries in his career, you look at many of the surgeon’s before-and-after photos, and are comfortable with the surgeons personally. It is also important to review his or her credentials.

15% revision rate for Rhinoplasty

+2

More than any other surgery, plastic surgeons perform, rhinoplasty requires a 15% revision rate. This is partly the result of the diffficulty of the procedures, but also the fact that many perform so few in their practices.

You should look for someone, who has experience in revision rhinoplasty, someone with good photos, someone who you have a comfortable rapport with. Try to talk to some of the doctors patients and pick their brains. After that - flip a coin.

I once had a patient who created her own rating scale and rated every doctor she met. I felt like I was in a Vogue test. Thankfully, at the end of the day I had the most points.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Experience and results.

+2

You want to find an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon in your area. Someone who has been doing noses for years or decades and who does a large number per year. Equally important are the results--do they look natural or artificial. That is really "where the rubber meets the road".

How to find a Rhinoplasty surgeon.

+2

Dear Annalynn,

You should find a board-certified facial plastic surgeon that has an established practice, and lots of photos demonstrating successful rhinoplasties. Word of mouth is also helpful, along with a favorable in-person consultation.

You should feel that your rhinoplasty surgeon is experienced, caring, and confident your condition should improve.

If you need minor tip-work (I saw your photo in a previous question), consider a non-surgical rhinoplasty which has no downtime, and is a fraction of the cost of surgery.

I hope this helps, and best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Consider Experience and Pictures and Level of Specialization

+1

While none of the above are absolute predictors of a successful outcome, certainly it is a good start. Most of the really good rhinoplasty surgeons I know are Facial Specialists. A surgeon should do a minimum of 35 Rhinoplasties a year and they should be willing to share before and after pictures of previous patients with you. Websites are an exceelent source of material to examine all of the above. Then consult with a couple of surgeons to see who you feel most comfortable with . The truth is that fewer and fewer surgeons are doing rhinoplasties with any degree of frequency so be very cognizant of this in your search!

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon