How Can I Find out if Revision Would Help with Disappointing Result from Full Bodylift?

Five plus months out from a circumferential bodylift I am very upset with loose skin in front and a new spare tire all around my midsection. Please will someone give me an idea of what I can do to find out what remedy might be possible for me. I don't know where to turn. Thanks for any response, professional or personal.

Some loose skin after body lift can occur

+2

Especially patients who have lost a lot of weight or whose skin has lost its elasticity (ability to stretch) can develop some looseness of the skin after body lifts or other skin tightening procedures.  That should not be considered a complication, but just a consequence of the quality of the skin, and can occur no matter how tight the surgeon made the closure.

Of course, the best thing to do is to meet with your surgeon and discuss your concerns frankly.  If you are not completely comfortable with the answer, consider asking your surgeon for the names of some other surgeons who may be able to give their input.  If that doesn't work, consider finding another surgeon and getting another opinion.

You may ultimately decide on more surgery to further tighten the skin, which probably will produce additional improvement.

Disappointing Result from Full Bodylift?

+1
This is an issue you should discuss with your surgeon and if possible get a second opinion from another experienced surgeon in this area of work. Not all surgeons regularly perform the bodylift procedure. Please look for a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Disappointed with body lift results

+1

While it would be helpful to have some pictures to examine, here are some things to think about:

Often, MWL (massive weight loss) patients have damaged skin.  The elasticity ("springiness") is poor.  Even though your surgeon pulls things tight during surgery, these patients can have a high rate of further skin stretch, because the skin doesn't hold up well - and it lengthens & stretches out.  This leads to the return of some looseness as time goes by....but they are still way ahead of where they started, pre-operatively.  We don't currently have any way to fix the quality of this type of skin...I wish we did!

Sometimes, if the amount of stretching is pretty significant, a secondary procedure can help.  Start by talking with your original plastic surgeon.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Loose skin after lower body lift

+1

It is difficult to give any advice without examining you or at least seeing photos. I agree with the other doctors that many patients who have lost a significant amount of weight have skin elasticity problems and therefore achieving that tight look may be difficult.  I also agree that you should have a conversation with your plastic surgeon in regards to your concerns to see what options you have.  Always make sure you are visiting with a board certified plastic surgeon for these procedures.

Unhappy with excess skin following body lift.

+1

There are several reasons for you to have the excess skin following a body lift.  

The first of course is that you have lost additional weight.

Second.  After significant weight loss the  skin has lost its elasticity and stretches out after having been tightened during  lift procedures.  A sign or this damage are the stretch marks or striae.

Third, if your had a pregnancy  your skin may have lost its elasticity because of the relatively rapid stretching it underwent as the pregnancy progressed.

Fourth.  When performing body lift the plastic surgeon must be careful not to make to closure too tight or pull the skin too tight or the edge of the skin may not have enough circulation.  For this reason, along with the loss of skin elasticityy, it is not uncommon that some patients may need a revision.

see MommyMakeoverSite.com for more information

Fredrick A. Valauri, MD

Body Lift, ....dissatisfying results

+1

The first place to begin is with your Plastic Surgeon.  If you don't get the satisfaction you are looking for, then get a second opinion. You might have something that can be improved upon, or it is possible that you already have a good result.  There is no way for us to know without examining you in person or at minimum in pictures.  

Daniel P. Markmann, MD

Full body lift revision

+1

It is difficult to assess your issues without photographs,however, at five months post op you are probably nearing your final appearance.It is best to first review your concerns with your original surgeon to see if a revisional procedure would be helpful. If you are not satisfied with the options then a second opinion would be warranted.

David A. Bottger, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Body lift

+1

You need to have another meeting with your surgeon and discuss all these issues.

Have a second opinion with a BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON (AMERICAN BOARD OF PLASTIC SURGERY. for a full examination and discussion of your options and desires .

Pictures may help define the problem, so we can give better advise