How Can I Find a Plastic Surgeon Who Specializes in Not Only Rhinoplasty but Septoplasty and Turbinate Reduction?

I have only had 1 consultation and was told that my surgery would be more extensive because I would need rhinoplasty to file down my dorsal hump and fix my deviated septum and my enlarged turbinates. He said he would not even touch me without looking at a 3D CT scan. I am 24 and have never been able to breathe out of my nose and I have allergies, asthma, and severe chapped lips due to mouth breathing plus I am chronically tired. I believe the CT scan really is crucial. Have any advice for me?

Rhinoplasty and septum together?

+1

Almost every experienced rhinoplasty surgeon also performs septoplasty and other breathing surgery.They are routinely done together. Fnd a doctor who you trust

Surgeon for rhinoplasty, septoplasty and turbinate reduction

+1

Look for a board certified facial plastic surgeon with an extensive experience in rhinoplasty, septoplasty, and turbinate reduction.  This is usually going to be someone who is double board certified in Ear, Nose, and Throat Surgery and in Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.  The rhinoplasty is done to remove any type of dorsal hump or fix the external portion of the nose.  The deviated septum repair and turbinate surgery are done to improve airflow management. The CAT scan will look inside sinuses and determine if there is any chronic infection, polyps, or any problems with the sinuses.  Sinus surgery involves removing allergic nasal polyps.  TSinus surgery is totally separate than a deviated septum repair and a rhinoplasty.

+1

Any experienced Rhinoplasty Surgeon is experienced in both Septoplasty and Turbinate reduction, IMHO although the latter I don't recommend because of the possible complications when the turbinate becomes infected.  A small injection of kenalog 10 submucosally along the anterior aspect of the turbinate will cause it to shrink without reduction surgery and risk.

Septoplasty and rhinoplasty combined

+1

It is not uncommon to need your septum straightened at the time of a rhinoplasty. In fact, I routinely do a septoplasty and turbiate reduction on nearly all of my rhinoplasty patients. It not only leads to better cosmetic results, it helps with the functional (i.e. breathing) aspects of your nose. It is important to go to someone who is comfortable performing nasal procedures.

Sandy Sule, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty, Septoplasty, turbinate reduction

+1
A septorhinoplasty is a combination of septoplasty the breathing portion of the procedure and rhinoplasty the cosmetic portion. During this procedure your aesthetic concerns and your medical concerns are addressed. I do a septoplasty on almost all of my rhinoplasty procedures as well as turbinates due to the fact that once a patients nose is thinned or reduced they may develop breathing problems if these procedures are not done. It is crucial for a nose to look both aesthetically pleasing and fully functional. As far as the 3-D CT scan often times surgeons like to have them if they are billing insurance for the septoplasty.

Michael Elam, MD

Rhinoplasty/septoplasty

+1

It sounds like your doctor is being thorough and doing a complete workup so you will have a successful functional as well as cosmetic result. Most ABFPRS certified facial plastic surgeons are also board certified in otolaryngology so will be quite comfortable with septal and turbinate work together with your cosmetic rhinoplasty. Many general plastic surgeons with a focus on rhinoplasty will be well versed in nasal airway procedures as well.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon