Do you find that patients become much more self conscious of how much they weigh after a Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I am 22 years old and 5'0". At my heaviest I was 183lbs and with Weight Watchers I was able to loose around 60lbs and for the firs time ever am at a healthy weight. I am now 3 months post-op but I am so afraid I am going to, lack for a better word, "ruin" my new tummy that I now love. Do you find that patients can become more obsessed with weighing themselves constantly because they are afraid of gaining weight and it being noticeable? At some points I find myself weighing myself 5 times a day.

Weight obsession after tummy tuck

+2

Congratulations on your decision to forward with your tummy tuck. it looks like you are off to a great result. i think it is normal that you would be more self conscious about your weight after having spent time and money to make improvements. You are merely reinforcing your investment. As you continue to exercise and perhaps lose even more weight your results will appear even better. And, the most important thing is that you will feel better and be more healthy. I don't think you need to weight yourself 5 times a day though!

Post op weight

+1

Yes, your concerns and behavior is well within the normal range of behaviors that patients exhibit after investing both time and money into their appearances.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Being conscious of your weight after weight loss and tummy tuck is very normal and healthy

+1

Thank you for your question and photo. Congratulations on your weight loss an excellent appearance.

I congratulate you on your concern about weight gain. After all the effort and expense you have gone through to achieve a new lovely shape it is very good that you are being very conscious about not gaining weight back.

As you know your weight can safely fluctuate 2-3 pounds a day based on fluid intake and food intake. Perhaps you would worry less if you weighed yourself at a set time of day for example when you wake up in the morning. That way you can keep track of shifts in weight over a longer period of time-a more meaningful measurement.

You are perfectly normal and congratulations on your self improvement

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS