How to Find a Great Cosmetic Surgeon for Eyelid Surgery??? (photo)

I'm a 35 year old and pretty unhappy with my left eyelid which is droopy, making me look older, tired and asymetric. I'd to find a doctor who can create a nice crease and fix eyelid(s), someone who can show me other patient's pics, so if someone had gone through this operation before and is satisfied with the results I'd like to hear from your experience and know your doctor, people think I'm too young for such a procedure, but i just dont want to wait too long and have a dramatic change. Thanks

Uneven eyelids

+2

As an eyelid specialist I can tell you up front (though you will need a physical/in person consult) that at this point you may not be able to make a significant change to the asymmetry in your eyes.

In Illinois the two best eyelid surgeons are Stewart Farris, MD in Springfield, IL and Dr. Putterman in Chicago.

Best of luck

Chase Lay MD

Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon and Eyelid Specialist.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

How to Find a Great Cosmetic Surgeon for Eyelid Surgery???

+2

To answer your question on finding a qualified plastic surgeon you will need to do a little homework. Ask in your community who is known for their eye work, research the doctor and make sure they are trained in that procedure. During your consultation you must feel comfortable with the surgeon and his evaluation. Ask how many eye surgeries he/she does a week and ask to see photos of results. You must feel comfortable and confident during the entire process.

As far as your photos, you do not have eyelid ptosis. Your upper lid margin is in good position. I think you have some medial brow descent giving an angry or scowling appearance. This can be mildly elevated with Botox temporarily or more long term with a brow lift.

You also have excessive inferiolateral scleral show. In other words, the lower outside white part of your eye shows too much, which also gives a sad appearance. This can be corrected by elevating the tendon of the lower lid and repositioning it in a higher position.

Both of these procedures require a great understanding of the anatomy and execution in the operating room. Good luck.

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

How to find a great surgeon for eyelid surgery.

+2

I agree with Dr. Steinsapir in that your diagnosis is wrong. If you look at the level of the upper lid margin on both eyes based on the photos you submitted , the lid margins are actually quite symmetrical where they contact the iris, the colored portion of your eye. It appears the issue is more of a brow issue although a physical exam and further pics would be necessary. I would be leaning more toward an endoscpic brow procedure rather than any surgery to the lid itself.

Grady B. Core, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Subtle Eyelid Difference Requires Great Surgeon

+2

You have a very subtle eyelid crease / height difference. To correct this, you need a levator plication and crease stitch technique. You would be best served consulting with an oculoplastic surgeon who performs levator plications weekly. Dr Sheila Shifrin in Chicago is an excellent option. No matter where you go, make sure your comfortable with the surgeon, before and after photos and staff. 

Good luck

Dr Shifrin

David Shifrin, MD

Subtle difference

+2

So

So your questions are good ones

1) you need to see a board certified facial plastic or oculoplastic surgeon 

2) it's a must to see before and after photos 

that being said - it looks like you have mild ptosis. It actually looks like more of a muscle problem. This type of surgery can give improvements that may have a margin of Error that is greater than the original problem

We are in your area in Madison Wisconsin and any of our Physicians would be happy to meet with you

Benjamin C. Marcus, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper eyelid blepharoplasty and browlift

+1

I think your eyelids and brows are pretty symmetric and there is some redundant fat or muscle under the right eyebrow and above the right upper eyelid. If it is fat removing it should solve the problem. If it is muscle it may not be solvable in which case finding the right surgeon is moot. I once had a patient with the same problem due to the muscle who also had excess eyelid skin. I trimmed the muscle when I took the skin out. She looked great for 6 months or so till the muscle bulge returned.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship in order to know if this assessment is valid.

Aaron Stone, MD

Upper blepharoplasty for asymmetric eyelids

+1

In most instances, when patient's have asymmetrical eyelids, it is usually do to asymmetrical eyebrows. When performing an upper blepharoplasty we can perform asymmetrical skin and fat removal try to balance the eyelids out so that they look the same. The brows will remain the same position unless a browlift is performed. Please see our blepharoplasty photo gallery below for examples

Eyelid surgery necessary?

+1

Based on your photos, I'm not convinced you need any surgery.  You have normal upper lids and the lowers are both a bit low on your eyeball (globe).  However, this is a minor difference and correction would not make a significant difference.  Definitely seek out an experienced facial plastic surgeon or oculoplastic surgeon for a consult in person.

Carey Nease, MD
Chattanooga Facial Plastic Surgeon

Finding the right surgeon

+1

Hi Flora.  Most of my patients are referred by doctors in my community, or other patients.  I suggest you start by asking your doctors and friends for suggestions.  See a few plastic surgeons and choose one you feel comfortable with.  Pictures of other patients are important, but remember two things:  No one shows prospective patients their mediocre results, although we all have some.  Secondly, no two patients are identical, so your results may not be that same as that of others.  Good luck!

Lewis Ladocsi, MD, FACS
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Finding the right surgeon can be challenging.

+1

However, the biggest challenge you are going to have is that your diagnosis, at least based on your photos, is not accurate.  You state that you are unhappy because your left upper eyelid is droopy and makes you look older, tired, and asymmetric.  However, there is no ptosis of the left or right eye.  What one sees instead is more eyelid platform exposure on the left side.  This appears to be due to how the eyebrows lay and that seems primarily related to the same of the underlying brow rim.  There are other minor issues as well.  The key for you getting help is to find a surgeon who can carefully listen to your concerns and equally carefully examine you.  I would focus on precisely why you feel your lid is "droopy" and then separately why you feel you look tired and asymmetric.  It is a mistake to assume that your analysis is correct but it is equally wrong to ignore your concerns.  Personally I think you will have a great deal of trouble finding the right surgeon.  I don't think that credentials alone will be enough for you to find the right surgeon.  You need an ethical surgeon who will not simply take your money and perform the surgery you think you need.  Personally, I think you should focus your search on fellowship trained oculoplastic surgeons with very strong aesthetic orientation.  That puts your search into a handful of major American cities.