How Can I Find a Good Therapist for Poikiloderma? (photo)

I know laser can be dangerous in the wrong hands. How do I find someone in my area (Liverpool). I have this nasty looking rash on the sides of my neck and jaw. It's on my face too but not as noticeable. I would to find a way of getting rid of it. This happened after a holliday a couple of years ago in a very hot country. Even tho I always use a high sun factor. I am blonde and fair skinned. Thanks

Poikiloderma laser

+1

It is always best to get a referral from another physician who is familiar with that person's work. You should always for before and after photos to confirm that the physician has performed this procedure successfully.

V-beam laser for poikiloderma of Civatte

+1

I have had very good success treating this network of fine capillary blood vessels in sunexposed necks and chests with the 595nm. pulsed dye V-beam laser.  Some patients have the redness and pigmentation also, and the brown color can be treated wtih the V-beam and glass tip, or Fraxel Dual, Alexandrite or Neodynium Yag lasers.  Sometimes the pigment responds well to lightening creams such as Elure by Syneron. Sunscreen is important to protect the skin from ongoing sun exposure that would worsen the redness. V-beam treatments can be done once a month and may take a few to several treatments. 100% reduction is not a realistic expectation but significant improvement is often possibly removing the need of using makeup to hide the redness.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com/laser-skin-resurfacing/laser-skin-resurfacing-treatment-new-york.html

The best treatment for poikilodema is the Pulsed Dye Laser.

+1

The laser clears the redness very fast. Pigmentation is improved dramatically, sometimes we can use bleaching topicals to enhance the results

Danville Dermatologist

Poikiloderma treatment

+1

Several of the newer IPL machines work well for treating this condition.  It may require several treatments to correct and may require repeating again if it recurs.

Poikiloderma treatments

+1

I have treated lots of Poikiloderma patients in my office with a combination of IPL/Laser Genesis and topicals, as well as some sclerotherapy to various small veins and capillaries. Like you said, any laser in the wrong hands can create a bad situation. So, do your homework: research offices and physicians online, call around and see how the office makes you feel and answers your questions, ask questions about Poikiloderma and that office's experience with treatments for it, find a place you are comfortable with and make a consultation appointment, and make sure that you go to a center that has a physician directly involved in all patient care.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.