How do I find a GOOD doctor that does rhinoplasty under insurance (nasal drip problems)?

How do I find a GOOD doctor that will fix my nasal drip (covered under insurance), and do minor rhinoplasty covered under the insurance?

Rhinoplasty and Medical Insurance

+2

Rhinoplasty is an elective cosmetic surgical procedure.  Medical insurance will not cover any parts of cosmetic surgery.  Therefore, the patient is responsible for the entire cost.  Surgeries addressing functional nasal issues such as septoplasty, turbinate reduction, and endoscopic sinus surgery are covered by most insurance plans.

Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Nasal Drip

+1

A nasal drip condition will not be treated by surgery but can possibly get better with medications.  Surgery on the nasal tip is cosmetic in nature and will not be covered by insurance.  Find a surgeon for the nasal tip surgery and that doctor might also help you out with a prescription for the nasal drip.

Theodore Diktaban, MD, FACS

Functional vs cosmetic

+1

I am a plastic surgeon who is both plastic surgical trained and ENT --- if y ou are only looking for functional repair look for an ENT surgeon who is in  your insurance network. If it is cosmetic = then insurance won't pay for it and find a surgeon you like with the proper experience and training.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

+1

The rhinoplasty portion will be considered cosmetic, and this will not be covered.

Rhinoplasty Surgery may lead to worsening of your nasal drip.

+1

Nasal drip and post-nasal drip are functional nasal problems that may be addressed with medications, not surgery. A minority of patients may experience "runny-nose of rhinoplasty" which could exacerbate your symptoms.

Even if you have functional issues with your nose that might benefit from surgery, once combined with rhinoplasty, your functional issues are no longer covered by insurance. "Rhinoplasty with major septal repair" is not covered by health insurance. In the past, combined functional and cosmetic surgical procedures were dictated of separately, but current CMS guidelines forbid dictating two separate operative reports: both the functional and cosmetic reports need to be on one document which essentially makes rhinoplasty plus any functional nasal procedure an uncovered out-of-pocket expense.

Hope this is helpful for you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

You can't!

+1

Unfortunately Julie, the minor cosmetic rhinoplasty you are talking about would be considered cosmetic and you would be responsible for the Operating room fee, the anesthesiologist's fe and the surgeons fee for the cosmetic portion.  The functional portion should be covered by your insurance.  Interview several doctors before making your final decision.  Good luck.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon