Should I Trust a Medical Product Website to Find a Good Doctor?

Several Board Certified plastic surgeons state on this site to only have a Board Certified plastic surgeon administer Botox. When I called a local MD office that specializes in cosmetics and cosmeceuticals, they said that although the MD was not board certified, he is on Botox's list of recommended people to administer, based on how many times he has performed this procedure.

I checked on Botox's web site and sure enough, he is listed as a Botox MD in my area. Does this make him a good choice, although he is not a board certified plastic surgeon?

Would Also Trust Dermatologists and Oculoplastic Surgeons

+1

I would check to to see the specialty of the physician. I realize that some plastic surgeons only recommend plastic surgeons, however, many members of my speciality perform this procedure as well and in fact, in many cases, have taught plastic surgeons the technique.

However, I would agree with those plastic surgeons who look askance when Gynecologists, radiologists, orthopods, etc. start injecting patients.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Marketing to patients

+1

Dr. Placik is right on with his assessment.

Membership on a company's website (mine included for whatever websites I am on) means one thing: the doctor brings in the most profit for that company by buying lots of their product for him or herself, his nurses, his staff and associates.

Period.

There is no quality control over the people listed.

Website is a marketing tool for driving patient's to their participating physicians

+1

This is an outstanding question and shows that you have a real understanding of the complexities of the aesthetics field.

This is extremely confusing and your one example is only the tip of the iceberg.

Some people are listed who may purchase the Botox for an entire group. Their "platinum" level may be misleading in that it appears that the individual injects that much when in acuality, they only purchase for use by other members of the group as well.

In the industry, they call this Direct-To-Consumer (DTC) marketing. Manufacturer's attempt to influence both doctor and patient's product purchases by controlling the patient flow to the physician as well as directing patients' to their product.

Trust your instincts and do your homework. The real question you are asking is the doctor qualified to inject. The listing on the website is one indication but not the only one. Look into their background, training, experience, etc.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.