What Are My Options For Fat Transfer Removal From Face? (photo)

I had fat transfer under my eyes/top of cheeks 2 years ago with terrible results. The area is uneven& lumpy, with hard little beads underneath. There are zillions of plastic surgeons in Atlanta. I thought the one I went to was skilled, but he ruined my face. I met w/ a top ps here. He thought the area looked "freaky" but would only recommend filler on the outer side to even things up. How do I find a ps w/ fat trans experience? What are the best options that won't make it worse?

Remove unwanted fat from procedure with steroid injection

+3

I would recommend one or more injections of very low concentration of cortisosteroid. These injections can have the side effect of fat atrophy or dissolving. I would start at low concentration and do injections as needed to achieve the desired effect.

Charlotte Dermatologist

Fat transfer to lower eyelids and cheeks

+3
While fat transfer is a highly effective procedure done in the proper locations this not an ideal area for fat transfer. I have seen several patients come through my office from other surgeons with this done and my honest opinion is do not add other fillers to off set the appearance this will only exasperate your condition. See a reputable surgeon in your area and you will need to have the fat removed via blepharoplasty. I have performed several operations similar to yours to remove fat both placed and injected in this area and they have been successful so please know that in the proper hands this should be able to be improved.

Michael Elam, MD

Fat transfer to the lower eyelids

+2

I can understand that this would cause you great upset.  Fat transfer to the lower eyelids may result in visible lumpiness and I prefer not to offer this to patients.  By contrast, fat transfer to the cheeks is a much more dependable procedure.  Consideration should be given to correction of the contour irregularity  by a transconjunctival approach.  

Glynn Bolitho, PhD, MD, FACS

Improving Irregular Contour Following Fat Grafting

+2

The injected fat causing abnormal contour of your lower eyelid margin and cheeks will not improve 2 years after surgery. It is difficult to remove the excess fat with steroid injections and needle aspiration. The best technique is to surgically remove the fat through a lower eyelid incision.

Lipotransfer irregularities

+2

Unfortunately after two years you can assume that additional time will not help your situation.  Options to inject a medication to dissolve some of the fat (like a steroid or some of the poorly supported products used with "mesotherapy") are not a predictable solution.  So you are left with direct surgical removal, or camouflage.   I would suggest you see someone reputable in Atlanta, like Dr Beaty who posted below, to get a responsible and honest evaluation of your situation.  It's a difficult situation with limited complication-free solutions. 

Kevin Robertson, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat transfer removal.

+2

Removal of fat around the eyes usually requires a blepharoplasty surgical approach since the fat is usually encased in scar tissue and the area is quite unforgiving of irregularities. Unfortunately I have seen many patients who have this and I do not put fat there unless done with a blepharoplasty. See a surgeon who has experience removing fat from this area.

Options for fat transfer improvement

+1

Your photos do show an uneven result and you appear to be overaugmented as well.  After two years there is no way to remove transferred fat.  Your best options will be to smooth the contour of this area and help it blend with the surrounding tissue.  An in person consultation would be necessary to determine which options might work best for you.  It is likely that fillers will be at least part of the solution, as you have been advised.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon