How to Find an Experienced Dermatologist Who Can Help Me!

I've seen a dermatologist for bilateral spots on the bridge of my nose-the MD thinks it's xanthelasma but, they are not raised and I'm in my mid-thirties with a normal lipid profile. I noticed these spots after a spray tan and I thought they were related but they didn't go away. I've had sinus problems and my eyes (skin) are dark-it makes the spots show up more (could sinus problems be related?)-I'm really worried-is this common and how do I find an MD REALLY experienced in this treatment.

Expert on xanthelasma, syringoma, and milia

+1

Xanthelasma are quite common, as are syringomas and milia around the eyes.  A physical examination is warranted to exclude the two other lesions.  All three are succesfully treatable. 

Xanthelasma is not common on the nose

+1

If the lesions are yellowish in nature, somewhat round rather than oval, slightly indented in the center, possibly they are sebaceous hyperplasia.  An experienced dermatologist who examines them closely with good lighting and magnification, and possibly using dermoscopy, might have a better idea as to the diagonosis but often it requires a biopsy to know for certain. Usually the lesions that appear to be benign without question, are left alone or treated cosmetically. If they are removed surgicallyt hen they should be sent to the lab for a diagnosis.  Some doctors, if they are convinced they are benign, would cauterize or peel away the lesions, but they do often recur years later since they are not removed completely this way. If there is any quesiton about the nature of the lesion, then a biopsy is worthwhile.

Ronald Shelton, MD