Doctor Recommendations to Remove Silicone from Cheeks

I got silicon a year ago on my cheeks and then when i went to get laser hair removal i caught an infection that irritated my silicon and started swelling. Im looking for someone who knows and who can help me find a doctor who can try and help me out...

Silicone injection problems in the cheeks and face

+1
Silicone can dissipate in the tissue and can sometimes cause fibrosis and tissue reaction. The goal of treatment would be to alleviate the subclinical inflammation.  Our office specializes in the surgical and nonsurgical management of silicone injections in Los Angeles. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Remove silicone from face

+1

Silicone injections in various parts of the body has been done quite frequently all over the country.  The difficulty with silicone injections begins with the quality of the silicone itself.  I have seen many cases where industrial grade silicone has been injected inside the human body.  This can be a tremendous disaster.  Problems can include infections, granulomas, cellulitis, and persistent skin infections, disfigurement and skin dimpling.  It is very easy to have silicone injected, but very difficult to have it removed.  The removal can frequently be very complex and involved lengthy surgery. Multiple operation is not uncommon.   It is not uncommon to expect scars in locations that would otherwise be undesirable.  If you do have silicone, or are having problem with silicone that was injected by a non-healthcare provider then you should certainly seek medical attention.  Some solutions include IV antibiotics, oral antibiotics and surgery after the inflammation has subsided.  Removing the silicone is not just a cosmetic issue but also an issue of better health.  Depending on the type of silicone injected concerns with autoimmune diseases and infections are foremost.  Taking medications such as ibuprofen or cortisone is only a temporary measure.  The real solution is surgery.  Not all plastic surgeons are willing to operate on patients who have had silicone injected in their body.  Many of these cases are not covered by insurance because they were performed for cosmetic reasons.  My recommendation to anyone that has had silicone injections and wishes to have it removed, is to seek a board certified plastic surgeon who is likely willing to do more than 1 operation as well as willing to do some of these operations in a hospital setting. I have had patients visit me for removal of silicone and the discussion to proceed is never an easy one.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Removing silicone from the face

+1

Liquid silicone injections are not a good idea, in general.  There are many delayed, long-term complications that can result from these injections.  If you have silicone granulomas, steroid injections may help to settle them down and soften them. If not, then surgery may be an option.  I recently did a facelift approach to remove a lot of silicone that had been injected into the cheeks, under the eyes, and around the mouth of a woman.  (the orginal injections were done in another country a couple of years ago).

Carmen Kavali, MD

Infected Silicone

+1

Unfortunately infection is a constant risk with any permanent injectible. I would suggest finding a facial plastic surgeon in your area who can better assess if you are suffering an infection or simply irritation.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Silicone in cheeks

+1

Dealing with silicone injections to the cheek is very difficult.  Inflammation sometimes can be treated with steroid injections. If it is infected, than this is a different story.