How Do I Find a Doctor Who Can Implant a Titanium Bra?

I can't find any in USA who can do it. I guess it's a specialised procedure. I'd like to find a doctor in chicago, if possible, but if it's not possible, how do I go about looking for a forign doctor who will be able and willing to do the procedure? And how do I make sure the doctor safe and legitemate before I go out of my country?

Titanium bra not approved

+4

Hi.  The titanium bra is not approved for use in the United States.  Even if it was approved, I usually advise my patients to wait 2-3 years before trying a newly approved product.  I have seen problems with newly approved devices and I don't want my patients to have any problems.  I also do not recommend having surgery outside of the United States.  You will not know how closely regulated the medical profession is.  In addition, if you have a complication, it will become very difficult and expensive to manage the complications.  I have seen this happen several times and it is always very burdensome for the patient.  As mentioned, there are other methods to improve the longevity of a breast lift by creating an "internal bra",  which are FDA approved, such as Strattice.  However, we do not have long term data on the efficacy of Strattice.  Hope this helps.

Tracy M. Pfeifer, MD, MS

Titanium Bra misunderstood

+3

What is the Titanium Bra?

The titanium Bra is a Polypropylene (Nylon) coated with Titanium powder. It is not a metal bra as some people think.

I am familiar with this material having seen its use, and have used it while operating overseas.

When used properly, it is highly effective in both reconstructive and cosmetic surgery. I believe this type of material will become more popular as more surgeons become aware of its efficacy. Another similar product is the Breform bra, which is not coated with titanium.

Unfortunatly, these excelent materials are not FDA approved in the USA, but widely available outside of the USA.

I currently use mesh materials that are available in the USA as an internal bra.

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Not all bras last forever

+3

The titanium "bra" developed by Dr. Ziya Saylan, M.D., Dusseldorf, Germany is based on a "titanized" polypropylene mesh, a mixed mesh, which has been used in abdominal wall reconstruction for hernias.  The use of Vicryl mesh in breast lifts and breast reconstruction was popularized by Dr. Sarampaio-Goes (Brazil) and confirmed by Dr. James Grotting in the late 90's, however this technique was never widely taken up in the U.S. Unlike an abdominal wall hernia, which isn't subject to annual screening by mammography, a breast is an organ in which breast cancer can develop, so any surgical techniques, which are paired with the breast should ideally be planned not to interfere with the detection of breast cancer.  Whereas the Vicryl mesh breasts were well visualized mammographically, there isn't any longitudinal data for the "titanium bra", which is very problematic.  In trying to be progressive, you shouldn't sacrifice safety. 

Another thought,  all "bras" eventually wear out and the longevity of this technique as well as potential complications should be established before you leave the country to try it out.  good luck. 

Lavinia Chong, MD

This is a new procedure with no long term follow up

+1

This is a procedure from Germany that uses Titanium mesh to help to support the breast. There is no studies published and no long term follow up. As a general role do not be the first for a procedure that you local board certified plastic surgeon does not offer.I checked the picture and not impressed by the best results that published.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Titanium in breast surgery

+1

Implantation of titanium for breast lifting or augmentation, or for any other type of internal "bra", is not FDA approved. Be wary of foreign "specialists" who may do more harm than good by inserting this permanent foreign material into your breasts.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Implantable synthetic bra experimental and not FDA approved

+1
I have heard of this procedure on an experimental basis in other countries but it is not FDA cleared so not available here. It will require large and long-term clinical trials before it could be considered safe and effective. A more reasonable choice is biologic grafts (such as Strattice) which is already in use as an internal bra.

Richard Baxter, MD

Titanium bra?

+1

You raise the question of safety and legitimacy and yet you are having a hard time finding an American doctor to do a procedure that you have decided, with no plastic surgery training background, is what you want.  Do you wonder why there aren't numerous USA MD's doing this - maybe it isn't safe or legitimate??

I'd really suggest that you go to three of the very top plastic surgeons for breast surgery (like Dr. Placik in Chicago) and ask them what is best for you and what they think of titanium bras.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Titanium bra

+1

A titanium bra uses a mesh around the parenchyma. This is not approved to be perfromed in the US.  Besides most of my patients prefer diamonds!

Huh?

+1

First do not have this done.  There is not an American board Plastic Surgeon that will do this for you.  Have to admit that I was unfamiliar with this titanium mesh for breast surgery. I went to Dr. Saylan web site.  The pictures did not overwhelm me.  

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Not in the USA

+1

And after you find your foreign doctor who does this and you have a breast mass and it can't be evaluated and you find you had breast cancer and die early, who do you sue? Live with a standard lift.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD