How Do I Find a Doctor for my Daughter?

My daughter is 15yrs old that has DDD size breast. She has chronic back pain and has been seeing a chiropractor, which recommends a breast reduction. We have discussed this with her and a teacher. She is very mature and has a possitive attitude. But with her back pain, it's holding her back from being more active. We are having a problem finding a doctor that we will meet with us due to her age. What can we do to help find a doctor that will consider meeting with us?

Candicate for breast reduction

+1

I am sorry that you are having difficultly finding a plastic surgeon for your daughter. She is not too young for the procedure, especially with all of her complaints. I would suggest that you see your primary care physician or an OB/Gyn physician or pediatrician to help you with a referral. Some physician may wait until she is sixteen, but you could go ahead and have the consultation.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction for 15 Year Old?

+1

Thank you for the question. I'm glad to hear that your daughter has your support;  this  this will be very helpful to her.
It sounds like she is dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for the frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.

As   she thinks  about  breast reduction surgery make sure  she does her homework and understands the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.  Make sure she also understands that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).
On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).

Sometimes a procedure is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.  

It will be up to you to do your due diligence in the process of plastic surgeon selection. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices  concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask  to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

You will find,  while doing your due diligence,  that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you;  again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastReduction.htm

Breast reduction for 15 year old daughter

+1

Hi. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble finding a surgeon to at least evaluate your daughter. A good place to start would be to ask for a referral from your OBGYN - they often refer quite a few patients for breast reduction, and are often quite well informed about plastic surgeons in the area. Even if a surgeon is not willing to do surgery on your daughter until she is a little bit older, it does not hurt to at least be evaluated. Bringing notes from her pediatrician and chiropractor also help strengthen the case for a functional (not cosmetic) breast reduction. If you do find a surgeon who will do her reduction, there is still a high risk that she will need another reduction down the line if her breasts continue to grow after surgery. 

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction in teens

+1

Plastic surgeons prefer to wait until patients turn 18 before performing surgery on them.  Although this is a rather arbitrary number, it is an age at which we feel the patient has achieved their adult proportions physically and is mentally and emotionally better able to handle the rigors of surgery as well as any possible post-operative issues that may arise.  That said, an exception to this would be for breast reduction surgery which is viewed as a functional rather than a cosmetic issue.  Having exhausted more conservative measures and with parental support, it sounds as though your daughter would be a good candidate for a breast reduction.  I am not sure why you are having difficulty finding a doctor who will take your case. 

Breast Reduction in Teens

+1

Breast Reduction surgery in Teens can be successfully performed in the right candidate and with parental involvement and support. If she is mature physically and mentally, and is experiencing limitations on function, pain, and social and self esteem issues; surgery can be performed sooner rather than later. It would be important to have a few consultations to determine her candidacy as well as the timing for the intervention. 

Web reference: http://www.drhayleybrown.com/breast-reduction-in-teens/

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.