How can I get financial assistance for a breast reduction?

I am a 24 y/o single mom. Low income. No insurance. 5'7" & 220 pounds. 40EE bra size. Severe back and neck pain. It is a constant struggle to find any bras that can support, let alone fit me. Please help!

+1
Without insurance or good credit, it is doubtful you could get any type of financing.
It will come as no surprise to hear that you are too heavy for your age and height. Your BMI is almost 35. Work on getting your BMI down to the mid 20's (about a 50# weight loss) and I bet you will feel dramatically more comfortable without having to undergo surgery. I see several patients a year that had a reduction while they were heavy, then lost down to a healthy weight and now want breast enlargement because they are too small!

Breast reductions

+1
A lot of community hospitals will apply for Medicaid for you. Look into a city or community hospital. Hope this helps 

Norman M. Rowe, MD

Financial assistance for breast reduction

+1
I am sorry you have so much on your plate. It sounds like you would be a good candidate for a breast reduction. Breast reduction is a surgery that has to be done in surgery center or in a hospital since it requires anesthesia. Facility fees and anesthesia fee can be costly. Options that you potentially have to get it covered is to see if you are a candidate for your state's medicaid program and medicaid will usually cover a breast reduction. Another option is to see if there is a plastic surgery training program  near you. Some programs have a resident cosmetic clinic where the residents under the supervision of a board certified plastic surgeon will perform your surgery. Resident cosmetic clinics will often do surgery at reduced rates. I hope that helps. Good luck.

Arun Rao, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon