Finally at my Goal Weight, Lost About 100 Lb What to Do About Neck? (photo)

Hey guys I am in southern cali, wondering what type of surgery would be best and cheapest for my jawline, I'm sick of having a beard. I am 6'3" and weigh around 185-190. I would be willing to travel to mexico or up to LA or down to san diego.

Neck Lift or Liposuction?

+1

Liposuction may be appropriate or a skin excisional procedure may be needed based upon physical exam and goals.

Neck Lift

+1

Cervical / submandibular liposuction

Some individuals have 'sagging' necks primarily due to fat accumulation below the jawbone (mandible). In some cases, liposuction alone can significantly improve the neck appearance. Liposuction is also frequently combined with surgical neck rejuvenation, and in selected cases some direct excision of fat (through a hidden incision below the chin) is performed. The reduction of fat in the area below the jawline and in the anterior neck almost always makes the neck appear longer, and makes the patient's profile appear more elegant or refined.

Suture suspension neck lift

In cosmetic surgery patients that do not have a sharp transition in profile between the submental area (area below the jawline) and the anterior neck, and in patients who simply want that transition enhanced, I add a 'suture suspension necklift'. A permanent suture is passed subcutaneously across the anterior neck, at the level corresponding to depth of the angle between the submental area and anterior neck, and is then anchored to the deep soft tissues behind each earlobe. This suspension cosmetic surgery procedure can dramatically enhance the definition between the jawline and anterior neck, producing a more elegant profile.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Improving the appearance of the neck

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss! From your photos, it appears you would benefit from liposuction of the chin/neck area. Recovery is quick, and the procedure can yield a fantastic result. It will enhance the appearance of the jawline, and I think you would be really happy with the outcome. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Neck lift not always necessary in younger people.

+1

Hi.

For having lost  one hundred pounds, your neck looks amazingly good.  Maybe some microliposuction. 

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

What will help my neck?

+1

Congratulations on you weight loss! From the pictures that you have provided it appears that you may have a small fat pocket underneath the chin. In my experience, submental lipocontouring  is a minimally invasive way to create a nicely defined jawline and a sharp crevice-mental angle. 

Todd C. Miller, MD

The best and "correct" operation depends on your anatomy!

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss! I'm sure there are areas of your body that may be more in need of skin tightening, but these can be covered with clothing, whereas your face and neck are visible all the time--I get it! I also understand your request for "best," but not "cheapest."

If this residual area of protrusion is fat, then liposuction, microliposuction, or liposculpture (plus any of the variants, including SmartLipo or ultrasonic lipo) would be a reasonable and very common option offered if you saw many plastic surgeons in consultation. If this is the route chosen, then I would urge caution against over-aggressive treatment of this area, since the underside of the skin has many beard follicles that can allow bacterial contamination, possible infection, and resultant ridges or irregularities and scar fibrosis ("lumpiness").

Even though you may have some degree of skin laxity, excision in an inconspicuous area is really not beneficial (except to the surgeon's fee quote), and is NOT recommended. You are young enough and your skin is not too loose to "stick down" smoothly and uniformly if operated properly!

You are too young for a facelift, necklift, platysmaplasty, Lifestyle lift, or any other "brand" skin removal and tightening operation (that promises much and delivers little--usually at a high cost) at this point in your life. Just say NO, for now.

If you have a low hyoid bone, this may be an anatomically-based normal appearance, and not potentially improved by fat removal of any kind. Hyoid position is something a well-trained and experienced plastic surgeon will assess at a personal consultation (impossible to determine from photograph alone), and will allow the avoidance of an operation that fails to give any improvement.

One final consideration, and one that I would consider foremost among the options available to you if indeed this is residual fat that can be surgically addressed, is direct fat excision via an inconspicuous 2.5cm submental incision just behind the normal crease you already have in this area and visible in your photograph. This allows the most precise and hemostatic fat removal, not to mention the most thorough and smooth! Careful undermining (as with a facelift or necklift operation) and removal of this supra-platysmal fat pad in its entirety, while preserving a thin, uniform layer of fat to "protect" the beard follicle bases and minimize the potential for infection, will yield the most effective fat removal and most uniform and flat result in this area. No ridges or lumps as with even the most careful of "tunneling" liposuctions, and a no-drain, no-suture (dissolving) result that requires only a chin strap for 1-2 weeks post op as you heal the tissues back down to their new, flat, and smooth-contour position. Best outcome, and only a slightly longer (and still virtually invisible) scar!

Please don't travel for a "cheap" surgery, and expecially don't travel outside the country where you cannot have follow-up care or treatment of complications or poor outcomes. Stay in the US and obtain several consultations that address these options. Go with experience, honesty, and ABPS-certified plastic surgeons who can discuss these choices and their pros and cons. Click on the web reference link below for several photogrphs of my patients undergoing this procedure (in conjunction with chin implant placement which you do not need, but with the neck fat being addressed in this fashion.)  Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Finally at my Goal Weight, Lost About 100 Lb What to Do About Neck?

+1

Based on the photos, Micro-liposuction under the chin with a skin ellipse would seem appropriate.  Hope this helps.

Liposuction of the jawline gives great results.

+1

Liposuction under local anesthesia gives great results for sculpting the jawline and neck and is so easy to undergo for roughly $2500 on special. You can be back to work in 1-2 days and can drive yourself home after surgery. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Hello

+1

Thank you for your pictures we would recommend Vaser liposuction, you can read about this procedure on our website. Vaser liposuction would give you great results.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

+1

I agree with Dr. Echavez that liposuction is a minimally invasive option that is well suited toward contouring your neckline and jawline. A necklift is also a possibility but given what appears to be your relatively young age, you will likely respond well to liposuction. Since you've limited your options to the Southern California and Mexico seek an experienced and board-certified facial cosmetic surgeon for consultation in those areas. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon