I have a film over my eyes after cataract surgery how soon can I have laser surgery done?

Cloudy after cataract surgery

+1
Dr. Dello Russo responds: 

there are a number of causes for a cloudiness after cataract surgery. Let's deal with the most common cause. A clouding  of the clear film layer ( of the bag)  into which the IOL is placed.
  About half the time this clear film eventually clouds. It is extremely easily to poke a small hole in this film with a specific laser designed only for this purpose.

The YAG laser was introduced by a French eye surgeon in 1980. I myself bought the third yag laser in the US in1981. It was a great advance in safety. Before the yag we needed to use a knife to puncture a hole in the film.

New York Ophthalmologist

Cloudy Vision After Cataract Surgery

+1

The most common cause of this symptom is a cloudiness in the capsule that was left behind to support the Intraocular Lens(IOL). The treatment is very straightforward, but ideally should be delayed for 60-90 days post cataract surgery in order to allow the new lens to settle into the proper position.

Anthony J. Kameen, MD
Baltimore Ophthalmologist

Cataract surgery- Film

+1

The film behind the implant is referred to as posterior capsular haze. The generally safest time to have it layered (Yag) is after 90 days, once the implant (IOL or intraocular lens) has had a chance to scar into place. Doing the laser before this time could cause dislocation of the IOL or vitreous to wrap around from the back of the eye in front of the implant.

Adam Koenigsberg, MD
Jacksonville Ophthalmologist