Can You Re-fill Saline Implants While Waiting to Get New Ones?

My breast implants are 8 yrs old. They are Inamed brand and filled 330 cc's with saline.The implant card says the range is 330-360 cc's. I am looking to have a child in the next 3 years so I am trying to wait for new implants until then; however, in the meantime can my current implants be filled?

"Topping off" Breast Implants: Don't bother changing or re-filling existing implants from 330 to 360cc

+1

In reality, you will not likely be able to distinguish  the difference between 330 and 360 cc. You will incur costs for a minimal improvement and risk possible implant infection and hematoma, etc. Don't bother.

Adding an additional 30cc is not worth the risk!

+1

I am not sure exactly what your concerns and goals are. Are you concerned that your implants are aging and need to be replaced before they rupture? Yes, you are approaching the point of ten years after which implant rupture becomes more common. But I have seen many implants go well beyond ten years in existence before deflating. I don't advise my patients to replace their implants in anticipation of rupture. In other words, don't fix it if it is not broken.

However, if you are desirous of going larger this is a different issue. Yes, it is a relatively simple operation to gain access to your implant valve and add additional saline. And yes, your present implant will accept an additional 30cc according to the manufactures fill volumes. Recognize, however, that adding 30cc is the equivalent of a shot glass of water hardly enough of a change to warrant the risk of surgery. Adding more then 30cc will violate manufactures recommendations and result in a much firmer feeling breast.

If you are contemplating an operation to add more saline for a modest additional effort you could replace your original implant with one designed to fill to larger volume. I would recommend a minimum of 100cc more to achieve a visible difference. If you do not want to contend with a possible additional expense of an entirely new implant it would be best to wait till you are rather then add the 30cc to the present implant.

David A. Ross, MD

"Re-Topping" 8 year old Saline Implants

+1

30 cc are just a bit over 2 stable spoon of water. To add this to the old implant you would require an incision that can access the fill valve of the implant. If you had the implants placed by any incision except a periareolar (around the nipple) incision, that would require a new incision - periareolar this time. the breast tissue over the implant would need to be cut and the valve be visible. The valve would need to be open and fill tub introduced with damage (not always possible). A damaged valve will result in a deflated implant. if all goes well and the 30cc are injected into the implant, the scar capsule around the implant would not allow any significant side expansion and there would be minimal forward growth - not enough to make all of this worth while.

Re-fill saline implants

+1

Bad idea, because of the length of time after the implantation. And if only 30 cc's can be added makes for a bad idea. Are you trying to get these implants to rupture? Than have the company replace for free? HUMMM!!

From MIAMI DR. B

Do not recommend refilling implants

+1

I do not recommend this for you.  It will require a surgical procedure, with small but definite risks, and the amount of volume increase you will get will be very small.  You could have a complication, such as infection.  The implant could deflate.  In my opinion the small benefit is not worth the risk, especially since the implants are 8 years old.  Wait until you are finished having children and then have a more definitive procedure that will achieve your goals.  Hope this helps.

Tracy M. Pfeifer, MD, MS

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

Filling implants

+1

Adding more saline to your 8 year old implants is probably not worth the effort.  It will probably not increase your cup size or improve your shape signficantly.

Saline filling to old implants

+1

Although you certainly could, it might not be worth the expense or risk.  There is another problem.  If you do that you may be voiding the warranty so check with the manufacturer.  At 8 years old you might want to consider changing the implants, even if you still go with saline, but this you can discuss with your doctor. Good luck.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Minimal change with additional fill on saline implants

+1

If you are sure the fill volume is 330 cc's in a 330 implant, that is known as the minimum fill. The max recommended is 360 for that implant, which is only 2 Tablespoons larger and definitely not worth the expense and risk of additional surgery to go back and add more.

Richard Baxter, MD

Re-filling implants can be done but not recommended

+1

Saline implants can be accessed at surgery and have saline added but the benefits probably do not out weigh the risks.  I have seen the valves break in saline implants that are reentered with the fill tubes.  The implant is only meant to be at a certain fill volume and if you go over the volume very much the implant will feel harder.  The additional 30 to 40 cc's that you could add is not a very big difference in size to subject your self to for little gain.  If you are going to do a surgical procedure I  would recommend using new implants of the size that you desire.

Best Wishes.

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon