How Often Can I Have Fillers?

I had perlane 6 months ago. Although it hasn't run out completely, it does not look as before. Is it safe to have a topup before it runs out completely? I did not have any problems with it.

Perlane touch-up at 6 months? Sure!

+2

Perlane is designed to last as long as 9-12 months, but it gradually loses its volume over the entire time it is in your body. Once it has diminished to the degree that you wish additional correction, it is absolutely safe to proceed with additional filler injection! You need not wait until it is completely gone (and your facial line at its worst!) before having more filler added. This is true for all of the HA fillers in use today.

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Perlane

+2

Perlane usually lasts between 9 months and 12 months. You certainly can have more placed really at anytime if you feel that the areas needs improvement.

Fillers can be repeated six months later or less

+2

It is very common that people do not want to wait for all the filler to dissolve. You can repeat the Perlane, but you may not need as much now because it's not all worn off. There might be a need to inject Restylane or Juvederm Ultra rather than more Perlane as you still have some correction.

Ronald Shelton, MD

It is always best to "top it off"

+2

A very detailed study was published last year regarding the benefits of a repeat injection 4-8 months after the initial hyaluronic acid treatment (with Perlane, Restylane, or Juvederm). Since HA fillers go away gradually, you can get cumulative correction if you do not wait until the filler is totally gone. 4-9 months is the usual space between treatments. And be sure to get as close to full correction as you can afford, especially on the first treatment.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

There is no time limitations on having hyaluronic acid fillers injected

+2

With hyaluronic acid fillers like Juvederm, Restylane, Perlane, etc the hyaluronic acid gel is placed into the skin where it provides volume by attracting water and essentially by occupying space.  The body slowly degrades the hyaluronic acid filler, at which point more is needed to maintain the benefits.

Six months is a reasonable period for an injection to maintain the results, and since there is still filler left, you will require less this time than the last.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Perlane how often?

+1

If you feel there is volume loss and need correction, it's absolutely fine and safe to add additional product. It could last anywhere from 4 months to a year.

Sam Naficy, MD

Perlane top ups

+1

You should not wait until all of your Perlane has dissolved.  Having retreatment at 6 months is perfect to achieve a longer-lasting effect.  You may be able to wait one year before retreatment next time.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Touching up fillers before they have completely been reabsorbed is recommended

+1

After getting filler and loving the results, why let the result completely go away before getting a touch up.  It is completely safe and the way I counsel my clients.  I tell them that the first couple treatments will sort of create a foundation and that they should try to keep up with touch ups every 6-12 months, before the entire foundation has broken down.  They enjoy staying at or near full correction year round.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Perlane

+1

Perlane usually lasts about a year. You can have filler treatment as often as you need it or need to maintain the desired look. It will not hurt to layer new over old Perlane.

Michael A. Fiorillo, MD

Perlane touch ups

+1

There's absolutely no problem having touch ups with hyaluronic acid fillers at any time prior to it wearing off. In fact, by not waiting for it all to wear off, you will not require as many syringes to maintain the same original effect as the first time. Go for it!!

Ted Brezel, MD
Long Island Dermatologist