If Fillers Hasn't Worked, What Are the Best Nasolabial Folds Treatments for the Money?

I have a round face with full and high cheek bones. I also have these deep nasolabial folds. I have had two different synthetic fillers and they lasted only one month, when the doctor had told me it's supposed to last over a year. I felt cheated out of the money I spent since there is no guaranties.I would like to know my other options for this problem? Please let me know what is the best solution as well as the pros and cons of those procedures. Thank you, Elle

Excision for Deep Nasolabial Folds that Don't Respond to Fillers

+1

Direct removal of the skin around the nasolabial folds can remove the deep creases in the cheeks in this area that do not respond to traditional fillers. This treatment can removed excess skin and make the nasolabial fold less deep and can provide a much longer lasting result. There is a scar that is left behind that generally looks much better than deep nasolabial folds. In patients over 50, the scar tends to be fine and can lead to a much more attractive result. Fillers are the most common treatment and have the least recovery time necessary. Fat grafting is possible, but the results with fat grafts are generally not permanent and can last as little as 4-6 months or as long as 3 years, but the cost would be comparable to a fat graft. Sometimes cheek implants can improve the nasolabial folds as well. There are many options and no guarantee with any treatment, so consider your options carefully and proceed once you feel comfortable you have made the best choice.

Burley Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laugh lines - nasolabial folds

+1

Not knowing what you started with, what exactly was injected and the degree of improvement/recurrence it is hard to answer your question. I assume the one that was supposed to last more than a year was radiesse. I have never seen that disappear in a month. If the folds are very deep it is not uncommon to see some settling after the swelling of injection and local anesthetic go away. These patients need more than one treatment. In your specific case the question is did all of the injected material go away or do you simply need more because of the severity/depth of the folds. That cannot be assessed just on the basis of your post.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Filler failure

+1

You pose a difficult question. I find Radiesse the best deep filler for the lines you describe, However if that has failed you could try your own fat but, that is more expensive more invasive with no guarantees. The solid fillers, primarily gortex based, are frought with placement and extrusion issues. I have had some good results but, this afternoon i am removing said product from an unhappy patient treated elsewhere. Without seeing you perhaps a surgical lift and a filler would solve the problem.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Best alternative to nasolabial fillers.

+1

From my experience, If you are in an older age group or have weathered wrinkled skin, excision of the nasolabial folds give the best and permanent result for the money. This does however result in fine, but usually hard to detect, scars.

Implants of synthetic or your own  tissues can be implanted with varying degrees of success. Again , no guarantees can be given.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon