Can Fillers Actually Stimulate One's Own Collagen Production?

I am 28 years old and considering getting a filler for a deep smile line I have on the right hand side of my face. I have heard that fillers can stimulate your own natural collagen production, requiring less product at the next visit?

Is this true, and if so, which product is the best for stimulating collagen production?

Fillers for stimulating collagen

+1

There are certain fillers that work to stimulate collagen very well. One is Radiesse which not only stimulates new collagen production over time, but has bulk to allow immediate results that are seen just as with Restylane and Juvederm. Sculptra is different from Radiesse in that it's entire purpose is to stimulate collagen but does not produce immediate result,- i.e there is no bulk associated with it. It tends to be a better product for volumizing and facial contouring.

The filler that will most likely be used for your smile line is a hyaluronic acid base filler which has much less potential to stimulate collagen than the previous mentioned. however, they may to some extent since sometimes there is slightly less product needed over time if you continually get injected. A possibility is that the act of the injection alone stimulates some collagen production.

Hope this helps!

Fillers can stimulate your own collagen production but don't count on it

+1

Fillers such as Sculptra and Radiesse can stimulate your own collagen production but does it in such small amounts that you shouldn't count on it. Artefill does it more dramatically but needs to be done by a very experienced injector since it lasts 4-5 years in the nasolabial areas.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

The best filler for new collagen stimulation is Sculptra

+1

How Sculptra works as a filler is to stimulate new collagen production that is why the results with Sculptra can last two years or more. However, both Radiesse and Restylane products have shown in studies to stimulate new collagen production but not nearly to the extent that Sculptra does.

I hope my answer was helpful.

Steven E. Rasmussen, MD, FAAD
Austin Dermatologist