Minimal Results After Radiesse and Restylane Injections

I recently had (2) full syringes of Radiesse and (1) full syringe of Restylane within a 3 month period on my marionette lines. I had very little results and they only last a couple of weeks. Is this normal? The injector said I may need continuous fillers for up to 2 years to see results. Is this correct? Thanks.

Carol

Discuss your concerns and issues with your injector

+3

There are many factors involved with respect to determining if one is a reasonable candidate for the correction of the marionette lines using dermal fillers. From your description, your expectations fell far short of your clinical results. Both Radiesse and Restylane injection are proven dermal fillers. Obviously, something else is going on.

Age, quality of skin, and the severity of the wrinkles and furrows are important characteristics that must be considered when evaluating a potential patient. Equally important is the skill and experience of the physician/injector. I would recommend that you follow-up and discuss your concerns and issues with your injector. I hope you find this helpful.

Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Minimal improvement after filler for marionette lines

+2

I agree that if a person has considerable laxity of the cheeks, more filler would be required in the marionette lines to achieve a noticeable result. If this is the case with you, you may consider consulting with a board certified facial plastic surgeon to discuss other options including a jowl lift.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Something doesn't add up.

+2

Hi! The amount of filler that you describe is MORE than enough to correct marionette lines. Also, Restylane should last 4 to 6 months, and Radiesse should last 6 to 9 months. Get another opinion.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Marionette lines can be deceptive and require a lot of volume correction

+2

Even though it may seem that the marionette lines are a small area under the corners of the lips, they may actually represent a lot of area that may need to be filled in order to be fully corrected. Other factors that impact the appearance of these lines are the volume in the cheeks. The cheeks may be bulbous or the skin may cause a downward force on the marionette area that will make it seem as if any injection done would be of limited or no benefit.

Other factors to think about: whether or not the injections were done in the right plane, whether or not the right filler was used (sounds like good choices were made by your physician in your case), and whether or not enough was used. In your specific case, I would probably wait another 3 months and go back to your physician for more volume, if needed. You may want to ask / confirm that the injections are not being done too deeply, otherwise it will take a lot more volume and much more time to see the results you are looking for.

Good luck!

Don Mehrabi, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Filler Results Vary on the Individual

+1

If you have loose skin with deep lines and folds, fillers generally are not very effective. The problem is they tend to get lost in the loose tissue, especially if they are injected very deep. In these instances a lifting operation may be more appropriate. On rare occasions I have noted very early disappearance of fillers, these patients appear to metabolize the fillers more rapidly than normal.

Ivan Thomas, MD (retired)