Is It Better to Have Fillers Injected with a Microcannula?

I was told that I'll have less bruising if fillers are injected with a microcannula vs. sharp needle. Is this true? Do all doctors use these?

Microcannulas are the future of fillers

+2

Microcannulas are without a doubt the future of injectable fillers.  I started using the microcannula several years ago and now perform over 95% of all of my facial injections with microcannulas.  I can perform traditional treatment areas such as nasolabial folds, cheeks, melomental troughs (marionette lines), lips, and prejowl sulci. I have also successfully used the microcannula for nasal augmentation ("liquid rhinoplasty"), temple injections, rejuvenation of the hands, and scar treatment.  The increased safety, patient comfort, and accuracy of using the microcannula for injectable fillers will soon make it the standard of care.

Microcannula versus needle for fillers

+2

Let me start by saying that I believe that the microcannula can revolutionize the  future of filler delivery. I switched to using microcannulas exclusively in my practice well over a year ago and have been very pleased with the results. My patients have been benefiting from less pain, less bruising , less swelling and less risk of complications. I have personally performed several thousand injections and I have never had a significant complication using the traditional needle technique. That being said, when the microcannula was commericially available and FDA approved, I evaluated whether this device would benefit my patients.  Nothing in the way of results is compromised (in fact many argue it delivers a smoother result) and there is everything is to gain for the patient. The microcannulas do cost your doctor extra money since they dont come with the filler and that is the only downside, but in my practice this does not translate to the patient. I look at it as a small investment in achieving a better outcome .  I doubt this financial issue is what is holding back doctors from switching over, but rather the lack of experience with this new approach to fillers. Something new in the cosmetic world can either be great or just a fad. I believe this concept of filling with microcannulas (not new to many of us who have done fat transfers for years) will be here to stay. My prediction is that one day the majority of the experienced injectors will all be talking about the old days when we used to use sharp needles and wonder why it took so long for so many to switch. You can see one of my videos filmed in 2011 below . 

Shawn Allen, MD
Boulder Dermatologist

Microcannula, injection without using needles, is great for filling those lines and wrinkles with Restylane or Juvederm;

+2

Let me give you a great example, today one of my patients, who bruises so easily and as well is on aspirin, was in and leaving for europe and a great holiday tomorrow, asking, "I need some filler. but is there anyway I can lessen the chance of bruising"  So we talked about it, and I  said there was still some risk, but maybe a lot less, if we use a microcannula, a needless needle, so we did, I used a 30 gauge, microcannula, to fill the marionette lines and wow, not only was this so much more comfortable, but so far no bruising, and better yet a great result!

Douglas J. Key, MD
Portland Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers

+2

Fillers results are injector dependant.

Microcanulas are blunt needles with the hole slightly off the tip. Their use is to  decrease the chances of injecting int a blood vesse, which can cause major complications.

Microcanulas are better.

Injecting fillers with a microcannula

+2

Microcannulae have recently become more popular in the U.S. for injection of fillers.  Some of the more experienced injectors (specifically dermatologists and plastic surgeons) are using these now, but most injectors are still using regular needles.  There is a learning curve with these devices and advanced training is strongly recommended.  The microcannula is most useful for areas such as the cheeks, temples, and tear troughs.  Because they have a blunt tip, a regular needle must be used to create an opening in the skin through which the cannula can be inserted.  Generally, there are fewer puncture sites and less bruising with microcannula use; however, there are certain areas that need to be injected with regular needles to get the best results.  I often will use a combination of these techniques in my filler patients to get the optimal results with the least bruising and swelling. 

Nancy Samolitis, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Microcannula Fillers

+1
Microcannula injections help to reduce the rate of recovery by minimizing trauma, so you have less swelling, bruising and discomfort. Large areas can be treated faster as well (although it's not recommended for fine lines). It's important that an experienced injector administers the procedure however.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Each has its own merit.

+1
I use cannula for a majority of my deep volumizing work. I think of it as "laying the foundation" of a beautiful face, and it helps me re-create the natural contours and fat pads that grow smaller with time. It helps me put filler in the same areas consistently - the natural fat layer called the subcutaneous tissue. Using cannula helps me and my patients create a very natural look. 

Because of the rounded tip, I feel more confident in the safety of my injections as well. It is hard to pierce through vessels or muscle with the round tip. This greatly reduces the chances of bruising. I have injected patients on blood thinners with very little to no bruising. 

However, cannulas are not ideal for the "finishing touch," or the very fine lines on the surface of the skin. I will often use a needle to "erase" these lines and also break up acne scars. You can't accomplish this without a sharp tip. Also for certain procedures such as defining the border of the lip, you can't use a cannula so close to the surface of the skin - it just can't go there with a round tip!

My patients love the comfort of the cannula. In fact, some come requesting cannula now. It is getting more popular. Please remember it is not right for every situation, and your doctor should be able to offer both to you and explain how each would be best for your needs.

Andrea Hui, MD
San Francisco Dermatologic Surgeon

Benefits of Using a Microcannula Vs. Needle

+1
Hi Makenzie,

This is a great question. You can indeed expect less bruising after treatment with a Microcannula as compared to treatment with a traditional sharp needle. Unlike the needle, the tip of the micocannula is blunt, allowing it to slide under the skin without cutting all the tissue it touches. Not only is there less trauma to blood vessels and nerves, there is also less pain.

I think the best way to understand this is to see the microcannula in action. In the above video from my YouTube Channel, I use the microcannula on an actual patient and discuss how it works using 3-D illustrations. Leave any questions you may have in a comment on the video and don't forget to subscribe to my channel while you're there — I often post new videos on this topic!

You also wondered whether all doctors use microcannulas. While the microcannula has many benefits, it is technically challenging to learn how to use it initially and may take the injector some time to master. I have been using it in my practice now for over two years and use it almost exclusively. If you have any more questions, please visit my website. Best wishes for a satisfying procedure!

David Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

The Advantages of using the Microcannula for Filler Treatment

+1

Yes, microcannulas are designed to reduce the chance of bruising.A microcannula is a small, flexible, blunt tip needle. During treatment, I use a needle to create the puncture site and then insert filler using the microcannula. Bruising will occur if a vessel is punctured and since the microcannula is not sharp, it is unlikely to rupture the vessel. This technique not only reduces the chance of bruising, but also reduces downtime and increases comfort. Not all doctors use the microcannula technique. I hope this helps!

Paul L. Leong, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blunt Cannulas for fillers for wrinkles reduces bruising

+1

The blunt cannula allows blood vessels to be ‘pushed aside’ as the cannula traverses the tissue under the skin instead of piercing the blood vessels as with traditional needles used by most practitioners. This has truly decreased bruising in my practice by 90% especially when using filler under eyes or in the lips. Only a few practitioners use cannulas.

In addition, the blunt cannula technique has allowed me to use the traditional fillers for wrinkles in the nose as part of his nonsurgical rhinoplasty that is also performed only by a few. The fear of using fillers around the eyes and in the nose has always centered around penetrating vessels with the filler material and ‘clogging’ the vessel causing a lack of blood flow to the area that can cause skin death or even blindness. Though this can still happen, gentle movement of a blunt cannula through the tissue in these areas minimize such concerns.

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon