Is It True That Fillers Are Not for Tear Troughs?

I have very deep tear troughs that are genetic. I recently went to a dermatologist that informed me that fillers would not help my situation. She said fillers are not meant for the tear trough. Should I see a second opinion? Should I see a plastic surgeon instead of a dermatologist?

Injections could work, but they aren't for everyone...

It’s not unusual for patients with tear trough deformities to request plastic surgical consultation. When this situation arises, hyaluronic acid fillers are very effective for treating this problem. Under these circumstances fillers can minimize tear troughs and ultimately improve peri orbital aesthetics.
It’s extremely important to individualize the treatment of tear troughs. In some patients the lower eyelid skin is extremely thin and for this reason injectable fillers aren’t always indicated. In this situation injections may be accompanied by nodules and bluish discoloration.
It’s important to realize that lower eyelid filler injections can be very effective for treating tear trough deformities but aren’t for everyone with this condition. For this reason it’s important that patients with tear trough deformities be evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon. This surgeon should be able to formulate an appropriate treatment plan for this problem.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

8900 West Dodge Road
Omaha, NE 68114

Fillers can soften the tear trough

Fillers can be used to soften the tear trough area. The choice of filler is important> I prefer the hyaluronic aced fillers because of their consistency, clear nature, and reversibility. Especially in this area, the skin is very thin, lumps may occur and it is nice to be able to inject a hyaluronidase which can smooth the area in a day or two.

Autologous fat transfer is an excellent filler, however I prefer to perform this procedure in the operating room.

Brian Maloney, MD, FACS
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

6111 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30328

Filling the Tear Trough

Fillers can be an effective means of softening the tear trough. Knowledge of anatomy is critical here because superficial placement of the filler can create visible asymmetries as well as a Blueish tint to the skin.

Filler must be placed in the proper anatomic plane, preferably using an HA filler such as Juvederm.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

845 N Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611

Fillers are GOOD for tear troughs

In a patient with the right anatomy and good skin, fillers are among the best ways to improve the tear troughs.  They work better and are more predictable than fat injections in my opinion.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

1135 116th Ave. NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

Under Eye Fillers, Tear Trough Filler Injection

Under eye (Tear Tough) are can be improved with inj. filler or Fat grafting. 

Use of blunt Cannula can help to minimize the bruising in this area.

Good knowledge of Anatomy & minimum amount of filler in desired area gives best results.

M. Khawar Nazir, MBBS, MS(Derm)
Pakistan Dermatologist

Al Razi Healthcare, MM Alam Road, Gulberg III
Lahore, Punjab 54000

Fillers for Tear Troughs

I inject a lot of fillers and see a great deal of patients in consultation for facial fillers.  The tear trough area can have excellent results when injected properly.  I prefer Restylane or Belotero for this delicate area under the eyes.  For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with injecting fillers under the eyes.

Michele S. Green, MD

156 East 79th Street
New York, NY 10075

Tear Troughs Can Be Injected

It may be worth your while to seek a second opinion.  The tear troughs can be injected with a dermal filler if the client is a good candidate for the procedure.  The area above the orbital rim cannon be injected.  It also would depend on which part of the tear trough has the hallowing.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

300 Beardsley Lane
Austin, TX 78746

Fillers can help tear troughs

Certain fillers can do wonders for making tear troughs less noticeable. My patients commonly tell me that even though they feel tired and sleep-deprived, their filler makes they look well rested!  However, it's very important to go to someone experienced in treating this area.  Certain people have very prominent fat pads under their eyes, and these patients are probably best suited for surgery. However, many patients who have hollows can absolutely benefit from a small amount of filler. I usually start with only a drop and then we can always add more.  Too much filler in this area can look very artificial, so be sure to go to someone who is conservative and is looking to help you achieve a natural look    

Whitney Bowe, MD

449 North State Road
Briarcliff Manor, NY 10510

Fillers not the first choice for tear troughs

Facial fillers are not the best choice for tear troughs.  This area has inherently thin skin and can easily show the fillers underneath the skin.  They can have a lumpy or blueish appearance (tinseling).  This is probably the area most prone to unsatisfactory results or complications and for this reason fillers are generally avoided or used with extreme caution.  This is not a good solution for severe tear trough deformities.  The best option is something called a mid face lift which repositions the fat in the area and gives a more permanent soft result.

When it comes to choosing between a plastic surgeon and a dermatologist it would depend on the problem.  Problems with the skin cancer, hypo-pigmentation, crepe like appearance of the skin, fine wrinkles, superficial problems etc are all easily handled by both but as the problem gets deeper or more severe a plastic surgeon is the better choice as they are trained in surgery for at least 6 years while a dermatologist may have little to no training in cosmetic surgery.  Severe problems as described here typically need a surgical solution. 

Chad K. Wheeler, MD
Spokane Plastic Surgeon

530 South Cowley Street
Spokane, WA 99202

Under eye "tear troughs"

The dark shadows beneath the eyelids, especially the inside half, can be challenging to improve. Use of the HA fillers such as Restylane and Juvederm can be successful IF performed very carefully, meticulously, and placed properly (usually deep to the slender muscle layer that is there). It is not unusual for some bruising to occur. These injections are best performed by the more experienced physician. Keep in mind that skin color and thickness, aged skin, and presence of fat all can contribute to the under eye shadows and circles.   DRC

Donn R. Chatham, MD
Louisville Facial Plastic Surgeon

4001 Kresge Way
Louisville, KY 40207