Fillers for Glabellar Lines?

If Botox doesn't work on the glabellar lines, am I going to need a touch up, or should I have fillers instead? My doctor recommends cosmetic fillers.

Both!

+2

Hi Gregory,

I have found that vertical glabellar lines are best treated with both Botox and Hyaluronic Acid filler (Restylane, Juvederm, or Preville Silk).

The Botox may be injected ten days before the filler, or in patients who are unable to return for a second appointment, the two may be injected at the same time.

The two in combination work better than either alone. Amazingly in many patients the vertical line doesn't return even after the Botox has worn off.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Filler for glabellar furrows

+2

Juvederm can be a nice filler for the glabellar region.

However, there are reports of severe complications from injections of filler materials to the glabella, with tissue death of small patches of skin. The reason for this is unclear.

Some doctors have speculated that the blood supply is decreased to the glabella. This is probably not the reason, as the supratrochlear neuovascular bundle is very near to the area and has a tremendous blood supply.

More likely, filler material embolized (travels through a vessel) and clogs it, causing in effect a "heart attack effect" to local tissues in the glabella.

If the filler is conservatively applied (i.e. not too much), and doctors are careful not to inject into blood vessels, this rare complication can be minimized.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Glabellar lines can take both volume and Botox

+1

The glabellar area looks the way it does when you lose volume in this area as you age. Botox is a temporary fix to paralyze the muscles for a 3-6month period. This keeps the muscles from working and creating and deepening the wrinkles in this area. Botox doesn't improve the volume loss. If you look at infants and children you will notice that the glabellar area is quite a bit fuller than the older individual and really the whole forehead is much more volumized in youth.

Fillers and Fat injections are a great way to improve the glabellar region and the lines that form in this area. The filling removes the muscles from the skin and makes it harder for the muscle to actually create the wrinkles. Fat injections also help break up the fibrous tissue that can sometimes hold down the wrinkles in their current wrinkled state.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers and corrugator lines

+1

Botox is great to improve the lines. If they are still indented a bit, then fillers may help. But, be careful because in the past, collagen was not recommended for this area because of risks of skin necrosis.

Fillers work very well for frown lines

+1

Botox will prevent the muscle that wrinkles the brow from contracting and making the lines. A filler of Juviderm will fill in the depression that may still remain after Botox. Some patients just don't like the idea of Botox and are quite happy with fillers alone. Juviderm lasts up to a year.