Can Fillers or Fat Be Injected into the Neck or Ankles?

I am a thin (5'3", 115 lb.) I'm 39 year old woman. I've always had bony ankles, and even though my weight has not changed in ten years, my neck has become, how shall I say?...thinner, I guess.

There is definition to it; depressions down along the windpipe. Can these hollowed out areas be filled in with Hyaluronic acid or Fat Transfer? Has that ever been done in the neck and ankles?

Fat transfer or fillers to neck and ankles

+1
Fillers or fat transfer are typically not done in the neck and ankle regions. The tendency of the neck skin to be much thinner then the face makes this a less then desirable area for injection as you may see visible signs of the filler under the skin. By your own description of being thin skinned in this region and the ankles as well I would not recommend it. Best regards!

Unusal to inject fillers or fat into neck or ankles

+1

It is very unusual to inject these areas. But a true expert injector can instill fat into these areas, i.e. Dr Sydney Coleman, of New York. Regards.

Fillers in ankle and neck

+1

Fillers are not generally  injected into the neck or ankle areas. The thin skin in the neck area increases the tendiency of a visible deposit. And the poor blood supply in the ankle make this a less than desireable place to inject fillers.

Fillers for neck and ankles

+1

Filling thinned out areas in the neck close to the trachea (windpipe) is not commonly done. The neck has thinner skin than on the face and a lack of circulation in the dermis and lack of oil glands so that healing takes longer on the neck than the face. There could be a greater risk of complications when using a filler in the neck for this reason. Furthermore, as the skin is thin on the neck, you might see a lumpiness or bumps from the filler. Similarly, the ankle is even more prone to problems with healing. It may be very difficult to find a physician experienced in filling these areas and if you do, it doesn't guarantee you you wouldn't develop a complication. Be careful. Maybe the safer alternative of living with the appearance of your neck and ankles is the best thing to do.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Injectable Fillers can minimize the appearance of horizontal neck wrinkles.

+1

Injectable Fillers are routinely used to replace lost volume in the facial area. Usually the neck is a repository of unwanted fat, so most people aren't looking to add more volume in their necks. If you email me a photo and description of your concerns, I'll be happy to share my thoughts with you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dear Neurotica

+1

Fat can be transferred to anywhere you want. However, the result may not be what you are asking for. Speak with an experienced PS and don't use your online name...

Marc Schneider, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon