Can Other Fillers Cause Complications from Sculptra to Occur?

I am three months post my first Sculptra treatment from a qualified surgeon with no complications. I am 33 years old and need more correction but have firmly decided not to continue with Sculptra due to the more irreversible nature of the product. I want to proceed with hyaluronic acid fillers instead. However, I have been told by another good surgeon that I should wait at least a year after sculptra to avoid complications. I would love to hear professional opinions on this. Thank you in advance!

+1

Thank you for your question. We typically use HA fillers in places we do not use Sculptra, perioral areas such as the lips, and NL folds.  We have used them in mid cheek areas and have seen no problems.  You will have to ask your provider what their comfort level is with the product.  When you inject product over product, there is no way to know what is to blame. I hope this helps!

Bay Area Dermatologist

Sculptra and Other Fillers Hyaluronic Acids

+1

Hyaluronic acid products such as Restylane or Juvederm should not interfere with results from Sculptra. 

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Fillers & Sculptra

+1

There are no published reports or known contraindications to avoid Sculptra and hyaluronic acid based fillers in the same treatment session or days apart. Of course you want these to be injected by someone is experienced in injecting both, and recommend either a board-certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon.  I commonly do both in my patients, even on the same day, as they are typically injected in different tissue planes, and commonly address different concerns.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra

+1

Since Sculptra is injected at a deeper level than hyaluronic acid fillers (Juvederm, Restylane) it should be fine to combine treatments in a single session. 

Sam Naficy, MD

Filler combinations

+1

Fillers are often used in combination with each other, even in a single treatment session.  Sculptra is usually injected at a deeper level than the hyaluronic acid fillers. 

Donna Bilu Martin, MD
Miami Beach Dermatologist

Soft tissue fillers are often used in combination for optimal rejuvenation

+1

Sculptra typically lasts 2 years or so, but I have seen patients maintaining results for longer. We often combine Sculptra with Radiesse and or hyaluronic acid-based fillers with excellent results and I have not seen an interaction or negative outcome. It has often been quite the opposite where one will compliment and enhance the effect of the other since we often use these in different layers of the skin and in different parts of the face.

Doris Day, MD

Potential problems using other fillers after Sculptra

+1

First of all, I would say that Sculptra treatments are not irreversible.  Normally the end result after a series of Sculptra treatments would last two to four years.  If you are certain that you would like to switch to a hyaluronic acid filler, I personally think it would be fine to treat you now at three months after your Sculptra treatment.  I would recommend waiting at least two months from the time of the Sculptra treatment, as there should not be further change from the Sculptra at that point in time.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon