Fillers Before Fraxel?

I'm having a small depressed scar in my cheek filled with Radiesse next week (it's an "untethered" scar), but I'm also thinking of getting a couple of Fraxel restore treatments done in a couple of months. Will the Fraxel cause a problem with the filler? Should I try another shorter-term filler first?

Should I do fillers before Fraxel?

+1

Hi Philly.  While it's not likely that your Fraxel treatment will penetrate to the same depth as the injections, we recommend doing the lasers first and fillers second.  This will help avoid any uncertainty.

Fillers such as Restylane, Juvederm or Radiesse before Fraxel

+1

It certainly is considered safe to do the filler before Fraxel. The Fraxel won't penetrate the depth that the Radiesse is placed. This also applies to Restylane, Juvederm, Sculptra and Fat Injections.

Ronald Shelton, MD

This is a great question

+1

In a perfect world, filler should follow Fraxel. There have been studies to prove the safety of the hyaluronic acid fillers (Juvederm, Restylane) before Fraxel, but I am not aware of studies of calcium hydroxy apatite (Radiesse) or poly L lactic acid (Sculptra). I have performed Fraxel on patient that had these fillers before, but I would consider this anecdotal and based on non-scientific observation of my personal experience. I would certainly wait several weeks before doing the Fraxel.

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist