Will Fillers and Peels Be Useful in my Case? (photo)

I've been to a doctor recently and i was informed that i have hollow eyes along with slight pigmentation of skin. He asked me to go for Juvederm to fix the hollowness and then they'll try some peels to reduce the pigmentation. There is hollowness which is clearly visible from the picture but the darkness is actually due to heavy fine wrinkled skin in the hollow area making the whole area look dark. Can you please suggest if usage of filler's could make this any better or should i just try peels first?

Fillers & Peel for Under Eye Darkness

+2

Pictures are helpful, but are no substitute for an in person examination. It is possible that you could benefit from filler injection and/or a peel. However, from your picture, I believe that you are a candidate for neither, at least not without some prep. Fillers can fill depressions or hollows and eliminate shadows, but must be used very carefully around the eyes. Your complexion appears to be quite dark. Although peels can alter pigmentation, they are not the first option. Also, in someone of your pigmentation, they can cause significant problems of either more hyperpigmentation, hypopigmentation or both (spottiness). You need to see a physician with significant experience in skin care and use of fillers.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Fillers would improve the hollowness

+2

The photo is helpful, but an in-person evaluation is more valuable. In general, there are three reasons why the skin around the eyes can be [or seem] darker:

1. The thin eyelid skin allows the darker muscle underneath to show

2. The hollowness around the eyes can create a shadow effect that exacerbates darkness

3. Skin pigmentation [sometimes from blood products from bruising]  If it is blood    product pigmentation, it could last months to improve.

Depending on which of the above is the issue, different modalities may be helpful [time, fillers, peel or laser resurfacing, concealer etc].

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Under eye hollowness and dark circles

+1

In general, Restylane is the better filler for hollows under the eyes. In regard to dark circles, there are numerous causes.  While lack of sleep is certainly one of them, other common causes include:  pigmentation irregularities, sun exposure, visible blood vessels, stress, allergies, atopic dermatitis, pseudoherniation (outpouching) of fat from the eyelid, and heredity, to name a few.  Fat can cause the appearance of dark circles, which can be corrected by fat repositioning blepharoplasty.  As individuals age, skin tends to thin and the normal fat pads in the eyelids herniate from their normal positions and become more prominent.  This prominence can appear as bags under the eyes, and the shadow they cast appear as dark circles, while the thinner skin causes blood vessels to be more noticeable, contributing further to the dark hue.  Some pigment can be treated with laser and/or bleaching creams.  However, if it is too deep the treatment will not be effective.  An in-person exam would really be necessary to determine the best option for you. Thank you for the question, and I hope this helps.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Juvederm for lower eyelid hollowness

+1

It will be unlikely that peels would make your darkness any better but Juvederm injections can help to fill in the hollowed out areas and decrease the shadowing.  This will help make the appearance of your lids not as dark. 

Will Fillers and Peels Be Useful in my Case?

+1

Hi Victor, you can certainly benefit from injecting Restylane to the tear troughs, this filler is a lot smoother to be applied under the eyes to help with the hollowness. Seek a reputable injector who can give you the result you wish to achieve.