What is the Best Filler for a Non-surgical Rhinoplasty?

I am Asian and I am interested in building my bridge, however I do not want an actual rhinoplasty. So far my research has revealed radiesse, restylane, juverderm, silikon-1000 and artefill. Which material is the best for this procedure in terms of the length of time before a touch up, safety etc?

"Best" Filler for a Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty

+2

There is NO one best filler. The ideal filler would be completely bio compatible, complication free, easily injected by anyone without a learning curve, last forever yet be totally reversible and be relatively inexpensive. Such a filler does not exist.

Every medical procedure is associated with complications. Not all fillers are equally bio compatible (some cause more scarring and inflammation than others). Some are not reversible while others are. And all require judgment and skill for proper placement and good results.

Anyone who has been in Plastic Surgery for more than 20 years would NOT recommend Silicone as an inject able filler. While visiting China I have seen many cases of "foreign body" removal (IE Silicone scar lumps) from noses and breasts. (Many Asian women wanting to look western had silicone injected into these areas with uniformly poor long-term outcomes). The so called great results of today will be the impossible to correct disaster of tomorrow. I have the same opinion of ArteFill - last time I checked none of us were born with pig collagen mixed with Mathylmethacrylate gravel pebbles under our nasal skin. The long-term consequences should be obvious.

I would use a hyaluronic acid filler such as Restylane or Juvederm, Easy to place, easy to dissolve, well tolerated and reasonably priced.  

The filler really needs to be determined by the doctor

+1

The filler really needs to be determined by the doctor and depends on the results you desire. The advantage of a hyaluronic acid filler is that it is reversible as opposed to Radiesse which is not. But, Radiesse has more structure and therefore can be used for a more significant correction.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

None

+1

All are temporary and will go away over time. Save your money and have a real rhinoplasty with a cartelage graft.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Radiesse or Juvederm best for rhinoplasty, depending on the anatomy.

+1

Hi.

You want a filler that will last a long time for non-surgical rhinoplasty, but --much more important-- you want to avoid complications.

Radiesse, and Juvederm for some patients, last a long time in the nose because there is no motion, and they are really safe.

I would stay away from silicone. Very few doctors use it, and there is a reason.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Silikon-1000 may be safely used by experienced physicians for Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty procedures.

+1

Silikon-1000 is my personal preference for Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty procedures. It's precise, versatile, and predictable when used properly in the nose. Silikon-1000 works well for building your nasal bridge, and your results are permanent.

Several treatments are typically necessary to obtain a desired result, and treatments are spaced at monthly (or longer) intervals. There is a low likelihood of developing nodules at the sites of injection.

If any of my colleagues wish to learn more about my experience with Silikon-1000, I am giving an instructional course in Boston at the upcoming Fall Meeting of The American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (AAFPRS). The course is titled "Off-Label Applications of Liquid Injectable Silicone (LIS)", and I will be presenting on 9/24/2010 at 4pm. Common conditions treated include: volume replacement, wrinkle reduction, lip enhancement, acne scarring, and correction of many nasal irregularities (“Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty”). I will also be describing the serial puncture, microdroplet technique that is essential for achieving desired results.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Choice of Fillers for Non-surgical Nose Job (rhinoplasty)

+1

Currently, none of these fillers have an FDA indication for this use and therefore all are considered "off-label". In order of longevity (from increasing to decreasing) the products are Silikon 1000, Artefill, Radiesse, Restylane/Juvederm.There is no best material.