Which Filler Best Stimulates Collagen Production: Radiesse or Sculptra?

Radiesse vs Sculptra - both stimulate collagen

+1

Both of these products stimulate collagen, but are used in different ways.  One advantage of Radiesse is that you get some fill for immediate gratification with collagen stimulation occurring later.  With Sculptra, it takes several months to see the effects of collagen formation.

I use Radiesse primarily to fill lines like smile lines and often small amounts under the eyes and for cheek augmentation.  I also love it to fill the back of the hands.

I use Sculptra for an overall volumizing and lifting effect.  It is ideal for patients who experience hollowing as they age.  This is an excellent product and worth the wait for the results it can achieve.  Neither product is ideal for lips.

Dallas Dermatologic Surgeon

Stimulator of Collagen in face

+1

Sculptra is the best stimulator of collagen however results are delayed and gradual. Radiesse is an excellent filler whereas Scultpra is a biostimulatory agent. Radiesse is a great choice for immediate results.

West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse vs Sculptra for collagen production

+1

Both Radiesse and Sculptra work by stimulating your skin to produce more collagen. They are injected deeper, beneath the skin, and will generate more volume to create a much better lifting effect for sagging skin. Radiesse is gel-based and gives instant results that last one to two years. It works best for cheeks, nasolabial folds, marionette lines and the jaw line. Sculptra is water based so it is easier to place more diffusely underneath the skin. The results are very gradual and take several treatments to see improvement but then will last for many years. Sculptra also works well in the cheeks and temples. It is my preferred treatment for fines lines throughout the lower face.

Web reference: http://www.dorsetstreetdermatology.com/cosmetic-dermatology/sculptra/

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

Sculptra does, hands down however it does not have exactly the same indications as Radiesse, IMHO.  I use Radiesse and Perlane to shape Cheeks, Chins and Jaw lines while using Sculptra for more soft tissue filling in the face, nasolabial folds, marrinette lines, temples and hands.  Be sure Sculptra is the best filler for your particular needs.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Sculptra stimulates collagen production

+1

Radiesse and Scultpra stimulate the production of collagen, however, sculptra's main mechanism of action is the stimulation of collagen production.  The poly-L-lactic acid that is the active particle in sculptra stimulated the production of collagen in the areas it is used.  Radiesse on the other hand is a filler all by itself, but it also has some degree of collagen stimulation, but that is not its main mechanism of action.

Naples Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra stimulates collagen more than Radiesse, but they both are effective in creating fullness.

+1

Sculptra is a "stimulatory " filler which means that it entire action is to create  fullness by having the body form new collagen.  This is why there is a lag phase after injection and the results may not be seen for up to 8 weeks.

Radiesse also stimulates collagen but also has also a direct effect of the material to create bulk. That is why Radiesse shows results immediately.

Each has its own advantages and disadvantages.  We prefer Radiesse in areas where we want a more defined fullness such as along the jawline and chin.  Where we want a more graduated filler we use Sculptra.

Dr.Mayl 

Fort Lauderdale

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Collagen Production with Sculptra

+1

The collagen production is better with Sculptra. It is Poly L-Lactic Acid which degrades in the bod y and stimulates production of new collagen. The amount of collagen production is much more than you would expect from Radiesse. The difference is that Radiesse will give you an instantaneous improvement but will last for a shorter duration than Sculptra. If you have an event coming up and want to look good right away, then go with Radiesse. If you are in no rush and want to have a subtle, gradual and natural looking change in your face then stick with Sculptra.

Regards

Disclaimer: This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case. 

Web reference: http://www.facialplastics.net/sculptra.htm

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.