Filler Now, Small Revision Rhinoplasty Later for Nose Dent?

I need to have a dent above my tip filled in after a revision rhinoplasty. Can I have temporary filler put in for the year I will have to wait before a more permanent solution, like filling in the space with soft tissue or cartilage? Will the filler disolve enough in time? Is this a good idea?

Filler for small nasal defects

+2

The filler option is fine, as long as you are about a month or more post revision. If you try to use it too quickly after a surgery, the results are less predictable. The choice of product like restylane, juvederm, or radiesse is not that critical, but if you are looking only for a year effect, stick with restylane or juvederm.

Some long term studies have shown that restylane (and therefore very likely juvederm) induces collagen deposition of your own during healing. So it is possible that you can get more lasting results with only using filler if you wanted to avoid a third surgery. However a couple of injections in series would be required. Just an option. The fillers are very precise, safe and natural.

Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers as temporary solution while waiting for revision rhinoplasty

+1
Soft tissue fillers can be used in certain situations to correct deformities of the nose. One of the more common uses is to fill depressions of the nose especially after surgery. A filler can be used to achieve a temporary result while waiting for revision surgery. In some cases, where a small depression is the only concern, having an injection of soft tissue filler every year or two to maintain the result may be more practical and affordable than undergoing revision surgery.

There are several important considerations when using soft tissue fillers in the nose to improve safety and prevent both short and long term complications. Use temporary fillers NOT permanent (Silicone, Artecol). Use gel fillers NOT particulate (Radiesse, Sculptra). The amount of filler injected at one time must not be excessive as this can cause problems with not only the appearance but also the blood supply. Hyaluronic acid fillers are ideal for injection into the nose as they are temporary (usually last for over 1 year) and gel. Additionally, if too much filler is injected or there are problems with blood flow to the nose, an enzyme (hyaluronidase) can be injected to dissolve the product and reduce the risk of skin loss and scarring. Both Juvederm and Restylane are commonly used hyaluronic acid fillers. Another consideration is that you have had previous surgery which causes the skin to be less pliable, so injecting fillers can be more challenging.

You would benefit from seeing a board certified plastic surgeon that performs both revision rhinoplasty and soft tissue filler injections into the nose to see what would be an appropriate option for you.

Jamil Ahmad, MD

revision rhinoplasty or filler to fix a small dent

+1
 A very small dent  in the supratip portion of the nose could be fixed with injectable fillers as long as it's been several months after your surgical procedure. A drop or 2 of  filler material would be an acceptable plan of action  while you are waiting for your revision rhinoplasty

Fillers and Nasal Revision Surgery

+1

The current role of hyaluronic acid fillers that are non-particulate fillers such as hyaluronic acid fillers like Juvederm or Restylane are good temporizing fillers to correct small nasal indentations that will allow one to wait and look good while you’re waiting for the nose to mature. One can then do a true revision rhinoplasty 12-15 months after the procedure if one is needed.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Juvederm or Restylane for temporary fix after Revision Rhinoplasty

+1
Thank you for your question and yes a temporary filler like Juvederm or Restylane would be good for a temporary fix. It was mentioned by another physician about using Radiesse and I would not suggest this as it is not a temporary filler and may have much longer lasting results then you care for. Juvederm and Restylanre generally last for about six months and you should wait at least a year for any revision rhinoplasty surgery so these would be your best choice. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Tissue filler before revision Rhinoplasty?

+1

A tissue filler can be used as a temporary solution while waiting for further surgery. The filler should be resolved before commencing the Rhinoplasty.

Oakley Smith, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Using fillers to correct small defects in rhinoplasty

+1

It is possible to correct small defects or depressions in the bridge of the nose with a dermal filler after a rhinoplasty. This may be used as a bridging procedure before the patient receives a revision rhinoplasty a future date. In this area the face, a small amount of filler will go a very, very long way. For this reason it is essential that you only work with a board-certified plastic surgeon who has a great deal of experience in rhinoplasty and dermal fillers to obtain your best results. Such a surgeon will be able to make a mouth correction until you can receive your revision surgery.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Fillers a good idea while waiting for revision rhinoplasty

+1

Injectable fillers are very effective for correcting small irregularities of the nose. I generally prefer waiting at least 12 months after a primary rhinoplasty before performing any revision surgery. A filler may be an effective way to optimize appearance while waiting to the appropriate time for revision.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers can be an option for temporary improvement in contour defects

+1

A filler such as Restylane can provide improvement in your appearance for approximately six months. Since it is all absorbed, this temporary improvement will not interfere in the ultimate surgical outcome of whatever revisionary nasal surgery you choose. I think your idea is a very good one.

Michael H. Rosenberg, MD
White Plains Plastic Surgeon