Fillers For Cheeks Lift, Indents and Volume Loss Around Lower Face. Can I Get More Without More Charge?

I got filler from very reputable nyc derm. Wanted to lift cheek area and help with indents and volume loss around lower face. She did vial of perlane in upper cheeks then said i needed restalyne for lower face....but she did not even use half the vial of restalyne and said i didnt need more. I thought i did but she said no. She charged me for both vials, $1600. Im not happy result. The restalyne vial was over $800.Do i have the right to go back and ask her to do more restalyne at no charge?

There should never be left over filler

+2

I have been injecting facial fillers since collagen injections first hit the market almost thirty years ago. In all this time, I have never thrown away filler because I couldn't find a place to use it. If only a small amount was needed, I would choose a smaller sized syringe (which is why they are packaged that way to begin with). You should not have been charged extra for the physician choosing the wrong sized syringe.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

It does not hurt to ask for more product, but you may want to find someone else.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA    

Restylane and unused product

+1

I would recommend at least having the discussion with your provider. If you weren't informed of the policy prior or didn't understand what was going to happen with unused product, that should all be clear before treatment.

Sam Naficy, MD

Restylane- using full syringe?

+1

I never have any filler left over unless I save a little bit on purpose which only happens if a lip swells quickly while I am injecting and do not want to chase a swollen lip by adding more to a possibly less swollen side. In that rare event I might save  drop and have patient come back in couple of days. Otherwise, if I am doing a small job, I choose a small syringe. It would be unlikely that I would leave over Restylane as there is usually a good place to put it. I would go back and discuss it.

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Half Used Restylane

+1

Hi Sydney.  You certainly have cause for concern.  Either the injector should have used the proper size, injected it somewhere else in the face or charged you for only a partial syringe.  To not inject the full amount and then charge you for the full amount is not a good way to do business.

I would not go back, but rather request a partial refund for the product not used.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Unhappy with fillers

+1

This is hard to answer. I don't know why a physician would select a full size syringe and not use it in entirety, because there are smaller sized syringes available, and syringes are single use. You have the right to call and make an appointment to discuss the situation. I don't know what your physician will say because I think most of us will tell you this isn't a normal practice.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Try not to get care from abusive practices.

+1

You are paying for a service not a commodity.  It does not hurt to ask politely. However, I have been doing fillers since the collagen days.  There is no such thing as left over filler.  No one, no one ever gets enough filler.  If the dermatologist is not creative enough to understand where to place product, I think it is time to find a different injecting physician.  Fortunately in NYC, they are not in short supply.