Why Should Filler Lumps Be Massaged Out?

I had perlane a week ago on my nasolabial lines and was concerned about formation of lumps. They were not seen but critically felt after the injection. So, according to some replies received to my previous query, these lumps should be massaged out. They are normal after a week or two, most doctors said (even though one of you said "not really normal"). However, after initial swelling, no bruises, it looks really beautiful,despite some lumpiness still there. Why should I massage them out?

You do not HAVE to massage lumps out after Restylane or Juvederm, at all.

+5

An excellent question, Rachek. Some people are not reading your description or question carefully. Patients sometimes get alarmed by the feeling of lumps, but sometimes so much filler is successfully used in one spot, it CAN feel like a little ball or lump. The key is.... if you LOOK the way you want to look, and the lumps are filler and not hematomas (collections of blood), then you are perfectly fine to leave them alone.

Some doctors prefer a "nonlumpy" style, and they tend to massage and smooth everything as they are injecting. Others are more comfortable leaving lumps, but it's important to look at yourself from all angles! Sometimes things can look great from the front, but funny from the side.

Use your common sense and do what's comfortable for you.

Perlane injections and massage

+3

You do not have to massage the Perlane injection site, unless it is symptomatic.  If you see a lumpy area or if the feeling of a lump bothers you, you can gently massage/compress the area to mold or redistribute the Perlane.  This massage would be most effective the first few days after the injection.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

No Need to Massage if Perlane is Only Palpable NOT Visible

+3

If you can not see the lumps but can only identify them by touch I do not recommend you do anything to them. Perlane is a filler and it is normal to feel the product in the skin because it is 'filling' an area. 

Hope this helps. 

Dr. Grant Stevens      

Grant Stevens, MD

Lumps after Perlane

+3

You do not need to massage a lump resulting from a Perlane injection unless it is symptomatic, or unsightly.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Filler lumps do not need to be massaged out unless they are visable

+3

Filler lumps do not need to be massaged out unless they are visable. If you feel a lump but don’t see it, do not massage it because this will affect the longevity of the filler.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lumps from Perlane OK to leave in

+3

As long as the collection of Perlane ("lumps") are not visible and they don't bother you, you don't have to massage them out.  Eventually they will probably be softened by the natural processes in your skin.  Even if not, they don't pose any threat to you and are not permanent.  If you feel they are visible or they bother you, you  may massage them out, although I personally like to massage/mold the filler in my patients myself, to make sure that the original correction is not reduced by too much massage.

Amy Forman Taub, MD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Lumps that are felt but not seen do not need treatment after fillers

+3

If you are happy with the appearance and can put up with the bump that was felt soon after the filler, then you don't need to massage or have it treated. If it is a small lump and the rest of the area is OK, you could have it expressed through a tiny needle point or injected with hyaluronidase but it would only be to make you feel better about not having a lump. If a lump occurs months after fillers, then an immune reaction may be developing but this is very rare with Perlane, Juvederm or Restylane.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Lumps of Perlane

+3

I f you are happy with the appearance and do not mind the lumps that you can feel then you answered your own question and should leave them alone.

Massaging out filler lumps?

+3

Rachek, the key in your situation is that your results are beautiful and you are satisfied with the way you look.

Feeling some lumpiness is not unusual, depending on how much filler was injected for correction. Visible lumpiness is what needs to be addressed.

Anifat Balogun, MD

Massaging Filler Lumps

+3

Filler lumps do not need to be massaged, especially since they are not visible and you like your results.  They will most likely go away in time and things are often better left untouched.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon