Will a Filler Like Radiesse Work to Fill Smile Lines on Cheeks? (photo)

I am in my late 20's and have had Radiesse for treatment of fat loss in my face before (tear troughs/naso labial area), namely as a result of weight loss. I have lines/folds in my cheeks that are prominent when I smile, and have only gotten worse as I've gotten older and lost weight. I have provided pictures. Are these folds/lines in my cheeks something that I could treat with Radiesse, to achieve a smooth cheek when I smile - WITHOUT having chipmunk cheeps when not smiling? Thank you!

Will a Filler Like Radiesse Work to Fill Smile Lines on Cheeks?

+1

Radiesse works best, IMHO, in tissues with a significant fatty tissue layer, like the cheeks, for overall shaping.  However, for depressions within the cheek that you want to feather, IMO Perlane works best.  Perlane flows better and leaves less lumps and bumps.  FYI, Radiesse should not be used in the tear trough in the thin lower lid skin where it can cause significant lumps and bumps.

Fillers to Improve Cheek Smile Lines

+1

You are correct when you say that the smile lines are deeper and more obvious after you lost facial volume. It would be helpful if you provided a picture at rest , but I would recommend that you increase cheek volume with .Sculptra or your own fat but not inject the smile lines themselves.

Radiesse for cheeks

+1

Radiesse is not likely to work well in that area to accomplish what you are looking for. Radiesse can be used to treat lines present at rest so we would need to see a picture of your relaxed face without smiling. . Radiesse is usually not injected directly into wrinkle lines and folds, but rather into multiple areas of the face to treat the volume loss that leads to their appearance such as higher in the cheeks.The youthful face has a fullness and elevation in the upper quadrants with a narrowing or tapering toward the perioral region and chin. As we age, the older face becomes deflated and somewhat “bottom heavy”. Radiesse injections into the areas you have indicated would be too much of a risk of "chipmunk cheeks".

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse for Smile Lines on Cheeks

+1

Radiesse is best used to replace volume in the face rather than fill lines.  If your lines are not present at rest, any filler will look lumpy when you are not smiling.  Having lines when one smiles is natural, but if they truly bother you, you may need more volume in your upper face/cheeks more laterally to pull the skin up and back.

Sheri G. Feldman, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Radiesse works well as a revolumizing filler for the midface

+1

Smile lines on the cheeks are usually a result of volume loss in the upper and midface, particularly the temples and the lateral and central upper cheeks.  This volume loss can happen in the bony structures, fat, or soft tissues of the face.  When volume is lost, the skin does not have the support it needs and it descends, forming wrinkles and folds.

The best approach to correcting that is to replenish the volume in the upper and midface.  The increased volume in the upper face will improve the smile lines without giving a chipmunk appearance.  If filler is needed in the lines themselves, it should be significantly less if the upper portions are filled first.

Radiesse or Sculptra would be my revolumizers of choice in this case.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon