Will filler in the cheeks also lift/help naso-labial lines? (Photo)

Will a filler such as Juvederm lift around the mouth (naso-labial lines) if placed in the cheek-hollows under the eye, and perhaps to the side of the eyes (temple area)? Also, is it possible to guess based on these pics how much filler I might need? I'd like to slightly lift my lower face, while fixing some of the flatness/hollowness around my eyes & cheeks that came with major weight loss. I posted a similar question last year, but have lost more weight - would like an updated idea of what I should do?

Will filler in the cheeks also lift/help naso-labial lines?

+1
Radisse or Juvederm Voluma would be best to help lift and contour the cheek area, this would give you the result you wish for 

Treatment with Multiple Fillers

+1
I often inject multiple types of fillers for my patients, each filler has a specific function and sometimes a combination will achieve the best look. I would recommend Voluma, Sculptra and Perlane for you.

Voluma is specifically formulated to correct volume loss and enhance contour to the mid cheek area. Voluma instantly provides a smooth, natural-looking appearance to the cheek area that last up to 2 years with optimal treatment.

Sculptra is used to stimulate collagen production, helping to replenish volume loss. Sculptra is the only volumizer scientifically designed to stimulate natural collagen growth. Benefits of Sculptra last up to 2 years with optimal treatment. This could be injected into your cheek hollows and temple area.

Perlane adds volume and fullness to the skin to correct moderate wrinkles and folds. This would be injected in to your NasoLiabial folds if needed after the injections of Voluma and Sculptra.

Consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist to see which option is best for you and how many sessions/syringes you would need.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma will help lift the cheek area

+1
Thank you for posting a photo. You look to be a great candidate for Voluma; this facial filler will instantly restore lost volume giving your face a softer look. Voluma can last up to two years and take years off your face! Consult with your doctor to find out if this is the best option for you.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

You probably want volume

+1
Generally, augmenting the cheeks will not lift the nasolabial (more properly called melolabial) folds.  A volumizing filler like Radiesse, Sculptra or Juvederm Voluma is what is usually used to provide such volume.  Without examining you, it is difficult to even guess at how much you might need.  

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will volume improve my cheeks?

+1
From the pictures that you have provided, you would be a great candidate for volume replacement in the cheeks. Dermal fillers such as Voluma can provide volume to the cheeks and give them a more natural, three dimensional appearance. It can also soften the nasolabial fold and provide a subtle lift for the face as well. Another options would be fat transfer. Fat is a great option for global volume restoration in the face.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Juvederm after weight loss

+1
  • You are a handsome man. Your photo shows descent of the cheek tissue.
  • Voluma (related to Juvederm) is probably best to lift your cheeks.
  • It will help the naso-labial lines as well.
  • I tell patients to start with 1 syringe of filler. If they like the result, then add more.
  • It may take 2 syringes of Voluma and one of Radiesse or Juvederm to the nasolabial lines to get the look you want. 
  • In your first photo, you have a cigarette. If you have stopped smoking - congratulations.
  • Cigarettes age the face prematurely. If you still smoke, can you start to quit? Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Filler to cheeks

+1
The answer is, yes. Absolutely! Definitely adding some filler to the cheek structure will not only give you some volume but also some contouring and elevation of the nasolabial folds(NLF). However, there is a possibility you may still require some additional filler to the NLF. Radiesse or Voluma will be great fillers of choice for your needs and concerns.  

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS

+1
This is a very astute question! Properly performed cheek injections with Voluma or other filler can volumize and lift the cheeks. This treatment can also be tailored to your underlying bone structure and desired result. Adequate correction usually lifts the cheek, flattens the tear trough area and can soften the nasolabial fold. Fillers are a good option for younger people like yourself looking for correction of volume loss. Results typically last up to, and possibly beyond, two years. 

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mid Face Rejuvenation And Volumizing Upper Inner Cheeks Can Secondarily Improve Smile Lines

+1
The answer is absolutely yes to the question of whether treating volume loss in cheek areas above and lateral to the smile lines (nasolabial folds) can improve those lines without direct injection into them. It is precisely this kind of facial sculpting with volumizing fillers that has represented a virtual revolution in the past decade in our way of approaching the nonsurgical treatment of deep wrinkles and furrows. We have gone from the much more primitive tactic of chasing lines and wrinkles by directly injecting beneath them  to using fillers and volumizing agents where needed to literally mold and recontour the face..

As to precisely which volumizing agent(s) work best for cheek augmentation depends upon the specific cheek locations in question, the degree of volume loss in the individual patient and where the treating physician's practice is located. I have practices devoted to esthetic dermatology on both the Upper East Side of Manhattan and outside of Tel Aviv in Israel.

In general, a deep volumizing agent is best for restoring (or sometimes creating) the region directly over the cheekbone region and sweeping back up toward the sideburn. This applies, as well to the mid-face rejuvenation, i.e. to restoring that area of the central cheek that characteristically shrinks and shrivels with the passage of time. The upper inner cheek, namely the region near the nose and under the eye does typically responds well to the use of a less volumizing filler.

In the U.S., where choices for FDA-approved injectable fillers are regrettably much more limited by sluggish FDA-approval processes, I generally treat the cheeks and mid-face with Radiesse, a calcium-based volumizer with or without the addition of Perlane L or Voluma XC, which are the hardiest of the hyaluronic acid injectables available.

In Israel, where many more heavily volumizing injectable fillers are approved, I may use Radiesse along with Stylage XXL or Restylane Sub Q, either individually or in combination, depending upon individual needs. As a rule, I find that these agents give great lift, allow excellent molding and shaping, and maintain their correction considerably longer than their American counterparts.

It should go without saying that consultation with a board certified core aesthetic physician with extensive experience in treating these regions is a must.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Placing filler in the cheeks to create a lift for the nasolabial folds

+1
Wrinkle lines or folds are really just the first obvious visible signs of a slow progressive change taking place in all structures of the face. I use a "volumizing" filler such as Radiesse which is not injected directly into these wrinkle lines and folds, but rather into multiple areas of the face to treat the volume loss that leads to their appearance. It is often injected much higher along the cheekbone at "vector points" that provide the greatest lift. The cheek folds can be dramatically improved by injections of the proper fillers below the level of the skin elsewhere in the face. This leads to the subtle and natural-looking results that are so often desired. I will frequently begin fixing nasolabial folds by restoring the volume lost along the cheekbones, creating a much better "lift" for the area. Restoring volume can often create a much more natural look than by having a face lift or plastic surgery.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon