Filler for Hollow Eyes

I am a 36 year old female who has always suffered from hollow eyes. My hollow under eye area makes me look tired. I tried different creams for dark circles, but of course none of them change the shape of my under eye area. I had a recent consultation at a medical faciliy and was told that Radiesse would work great on my hollow eyes. I don't have any experience with fillers. So, I would appreciate a second medical opinion. Thank you!

Hollow eye treatment

+4

Structural fat grafting can be performed on upper eyelid hollows, to smooth hollows under the eyes, to fill sunken cheeks, for filling sunken hollows under eyes eyes and is often used for blepharoplasty correction when too much skin and or fat has been removed in an eyelid surgical procedure.

Fat Grafting requires specialized training and specialized surgical instruments, as well as patience and attention to detail on the part of the surgeon. When performed properly, permanent improvements in facial plastic surgery are possible.

The technique I use, structural fat grafting, in which small amounts (less than 0.1 cc at a time) of fat are carefully microinjected in a series of discrete layers to gradually 'build' new soft tissue structure. As there is space between each microinjection, new blood vessels are able to grow into the grafted fat, allowing it to persist. If this process of blood vessel ingrowth (neovascularization) does not occur, then the injected tissue cannot truly be considered a 'graft' and is instead just another 'soft tissue filler' of limited duration.

It is important select a plastic surgeon with specialized training who performs fat grafting often.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Diluted Radiesse tends to give a smoother result than the restylane/juvederm fillers for hollow eyes.

+3

Diluting the  Radiesse with local anesthetic and injecting small amounts weekly for 3 visits often gives the smoothest results and lasts about a yr for around $650 for  hollow eyes.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Tear trough fillers

+2

If you have deep tear troughs and want some improvement, fillers can be a great treatment. However, Radiesse is not my first choice for this area. You may be better off with a hyaluronic acid.

Treatment of the tear trough

+2

The margin of error for injections in this area is very small so hyaluronates like restylane and juvederm are usually better options. If you do not like it it will go away by itself within a year or you can inject hyaluronidase to get rid of it. If you do not like the radiesse you will have to wait much longer for it to go away and there is nothing you can inject to get rid of it. I prefer fat grafts to this area when feasible because whatever amount survives and is permanent. I even prefer that to injected fat but the drawback is you have to have surgery. Some patients prefer an injection to surgery even if the result is only temporary.

Aaron Stone, MD

Radiesse Bad Choice

+2

Radiesse is not a good product to use around circular muscular structures such as the eyes or mouth. You should be sure the physician performing these injections is VERY experienced. Restylane is my choice in this area since it is less mobile. Plus, unsatisfactory results can be erased with hyaluronidase. 

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

I would try Restalyne

+1

In my practice, I usually chose to use Restalyne over Radiesse under the eyes, because Restalyne is more easily corrected in the event of over- injection.

Best of luck, Dr. Marefat

Saeed Marefat, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

A well-performed Injectable Filler treatment works well to improve the appearance of lower eyelid hollowness.

+1

I read your concern. If you would like to improve the appearance of your lower eyelid hollowness, you could consult several physicians experienced in the delicate art of filling this area. You should see many favorable photos before proceeding. My personal preference is to use Silikon-1000, an off-label filler, for permanent results.

Regards from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon