Can I Use a Filler Instead of Botox for Forehead Wrinkle if I Had Bells Palsy?

I had Bells' Palsy a few years ago and have I would say 5% left over droop (no one can tell unless I tell them). In addition, had severe Lyme Disease for several years. I have been recovered for over a year now but am scared to put botox in my forehead. I am getting married in 6 months and hate my forehead wrinkle! I am 30 am saddened by the fact I can't fix this. Help. Can I use Juvaderm? I really don't want to risk any paralysis. Thank you.

Yes with care

+4

If you are afraid of Botox, which is certainly warrented in your case, a filler, while not achieving the level of correction of a neurotoxin, should give you acceptable results.

Be sure you see someone with a good deal of experience, such as a plastic surgeon or dermatologist, since the injections must be done with unusual care. Otherwise, you could have a linear bunch of bead-like blobs running along your forehead creases.

I prefer Juvederm Ultra for these injections.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Fillers for forehead wrinkles

+2

When possible, Botox is the first choice for treatment of forehead wrinkles. As you don't want to consider Botox because of the history of Bell's Palsy and severe Lyme's disease (although the two may not increase the complication rate of Botox) fillers can conservatively be used for the forehead wrinkles. The initial filler should be done conservatively and using a hyaluronic acid such as Restylane or Juvederm would be a wise choice because their result can be reversed if it is unsatisfactory.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Fillers for Forehead Wrinkles

+1

Without a picture or examining you, it is difficult to address your concern specifically.  However, many forehead wrinkles are effectively treated with a combination of Botox and fillers.  The Botox will reduce the muscle action and the filler will add volume to reduce the indentation.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Fillers for treatment of forehead wrinkles.

+1

Fillers like Juvederm and Restylane can certainly be used in the brow and forehead.  The results of the procedure are better when used with Botox together, but you will still see improvement of the wrinkles and lines you don't like.

There are also a few laser procedures, and mild chemical peels that may be very helpful in your case. 

See your local Facial plastic surgery specialist to review your options.

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding!

Dr. Torkian - Lasky Clinic, Beverly Hills

Behrooz Torkian, MD