Fillers to Beef Up Area Above Chin Implant?

Hello. I have a small implant that otherwise looks fine; but I find that it causes too much sharpness when viewed at a 45-degree angle--because, unlike with a real larger jaw--only the bottom half of my jaw extends out. I am seeking the "full" look of a larger jaw. I can achieve this with a plumped-up "between-jowl-and-chin area." One PS I saw recommended Aquamid; a non-FDA approved filler. What are your thoughts? Fat injections? Injectable filler? I am afraid to go with Aquamid.

Dermal filler for area above chin implant

+1

Small implants usually do not cause much of a depression above the actual chin implant itself on the mentum. Large chin implants can cause a bit of a retrusion just above them between implant and the lower lip. Additional augmentation in this area is probably best performed with fillers such as fat grafting or fascia grafting. We do not recommend other fillers in the area such as Aquamid since it is not FDA approved. We have seen severe complications from Aquamid injected into the lips in our practice.

Chin implant options

+1

You have several options. I agree with you on the permanent filler.

You may want to consider changing the implant to a more appropriate size and shpe implant. or fillers, I would recomment a non permenant filler first, if you like it then you can go to fat transfer which is more permenant.

Fillers work well along the chin and jawline

+1

It seems to me like you should have had a more anatomical implant that extended and tapered more along the sides of your chin. If you do not want to have a new chin implant placed, injections with fillers can definitely improve the contour. I would stay away from any filler not approved by the FDA. Restylane, Juvederm, and Radiesse are good options. Also, injections with your own fat work very well. Good luck.

Bruce Genter, MD
Abington Plastic Surgeon

Fillers to beef up the chin

+1

Perlane or Juvederm Ultra Plus would be great options. Both of these products are Hyaluronic Acid and work well in areas where there is a volume deficit. In your situation I would start with an H.A. to make sure that this is indeed the look that you are trying to obtain. If it isn't, then it can be easily dissolved. If it is, then I would considered a longer lasting filler the next time a touch up is needed to extend the results.

Michael L. Workman, MD

Fillers for jawline

+1

You really have a large selection of fillers that you can choose from to camouflage the implant. I prefer the hyaluronic acids such as Perlane or Juvederm.

Artefill or Radiesse are good choices for chin augmentation refinements

+1

Artefill is a permanent filler for about 1200 per syringe and Radiesse is a temporary 1 yr filler for about 650 per syringe and usually 2 syringes are needed to refine chin augmentations. It is simple and easy to undergo.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers to beef up area above chin implant

+1

Yes, I have used Artefill to improve the chin implant appearance. But these injections should be done slowly and by a expert filler.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Injectable Fillers can be used in the groove between your chin and jowl.

+1

The "Extended Anatomical" Chin Implants are designed to minimize this groove between your jowls and implant. If you have a small implant with a deep groove between the implant and jowl, then Injectable Fillers may be considered.

I have used Silikon-1000 in these grooves with good success, and permanent results. I suspect any Injectable Filler would work well if used properly.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filler above chin implant

+1

Great observation! Restylane and Juvederm are two good options to fill in the area above the chin implant. Both are hyaluronic acid fillers which are completely natural and dissolve in about 6 months. In addition, both can be dissolved immediately via another injection in case you do not like the look. These fillers are a good way for you to see if you like the correction without having to commit to a permanent filler. If indeed you like the fullness, you can then transition to a longer lasting filler such as Radiesse. Good luck!

Yael Halaas, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon