Filler First and THEN Fat Graft?

When I called a doctor's office today and asked the assistant if the Doc does lip augmentations with autologous fat transfer, I was told she first uses fillers and then if more work is needed she will use fat. Is this just a way to get more money because after reading many reviews from other doctors it sounds like fillers only guarantee the need for more work to be done.

Lip Augmentation

+1

I give my patients the option of first trying the fillers to see if they like the results.  Some patients are insistent that they want to just proceed with autologous fat grafting and I have no problem with this if they are good candidates and are completely aware of the goals and limitations of the procedure.   As I said though, I do offer patients the standard fillers first, whether it’s to the hands or face, so they can get a feel for their results. 

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation

+1

Dear HelloYello,

• I do a lot of fat transfers, and for the lips, it gives a different result that fillers do
  • Fat will give the lip more volume to make the more pouty (without lumps), but it is not that great at increasing definition
  • My philosophy is that if you are getting fat transfer elsewhere on the face, we can add some to the lips at the same time, I would not get a fat transfer just for the lips because the fillers are so great for this

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Fillers or fat for lips

+1

It is really your choice to place filler or fat into the lip. Fat may not be as permanent as we would like in the lip. It may require several procedures to get it right because the fat doesn't always take wll in the lip.

Fillers for lips

+1

There are many options to get your lips to look beautiful and natural at the same time. I think that today with the choice of hyaluronic acid type of fillers available, there is no need to use other more permanent ones. Hyaluronic acid may be dissolved easily by an enzyme called Hyaluronidase while other materials may be more difficult to reduce or reverse. I hope this helps!

Janice Lima-Maribona, DO
Miami Dermatologist

You have several choices with lip augmentations.

+1

If you haven't had your lips augmented before, then a filler is good to see what size, shape etc... you like since they tend to last a few months only for roughly $550/syringe. Once you know what size you want, then going to a permanent implant for $1500-2000 each is a great way since they look natural and are easy to remove if ever you want it. Fat injections can look like donald duck for 2 weeks then settle down and last 3-9 months before starting to get lumpy-bumpy and need to be done again. Some docs do fat injections every 3 months to keep them looking good.  It is still fine to go right to fat injections for the lips if you want for roughly $1500-2500/session.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon