Can Filled Teeth Be Whitened?

Ok, I've Had A Couple Of My Front Teeth Filled & Where They Are Filled At Is Kinda Yellow & Brushing Dosn't Seem To Whiten Them. What Should I Do?

Whitening systems do not whiten bonded fillings

+2

whitening systems do not whiten bonded fillings. So if you whiten them the discolored filligs will seem even more noticeable, since the enamel will whiten and the fillings won"t.

First whiten your teeth, then replace the bonded fillings to match the new shade . Get a maintenance kit to keep the bleached shade results for a longer time.

Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

Filled teeth Can Be Whitened

+2

Yes, the actual teeth (enamel) will whiten, however, the fillings in those teeth that already appear yellow, will appear even more yellow after the whitening, due to the contrast. That is not a problem, however, because those fillings can then be changed to match the new lighter shade of your enamel.

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Can Filled Teeth Be Whitened?

+1

One of the reasons why teeth whitening should be done by a dentist rather than at the mall is to solve issues like these. If you have had the front fillings for a while, then the yellow color is not likely to improve a lot.

If these are fairly new fillings (for example, a few months old), then you may want to make an appointment with your dentist and discuss the final color match with him. 

Here's how I would proceed:

• Visit a cosmetic dentist, not just a general dentist. You have a much higher likelihood of getting your front teeth just the way you want them.
  • Start Professional teeth whitening. You may see some improvement (or at least a little). The goal at this point is to get your teeth as light as you want.
  • Have the fillings removed and replaced with the new lighter color.

You'll be surprised how much lighter your smile looks!

Like other treatments in cosmetic dentistry, when you feel really confident about your smile, it shows.

Web reference: http://www.scottgreenhalghdds.com/teeth-whitening-update.html

Denver Cosmetic Dentist

Can Whitening Be Performed On Teeth With Fillings?

+1

You can whiten your teeth that have the yellowish fillings and the teeth will lighten in color.  The composite fillings will not whiten and you would probably need to have them replaced after your whitening procedure.  Don't look for any improvement in color on brushing alone as these whitening toothpastes typically do not work very well.  Good luck.  

Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Whitening of anterior teeth with fillings

+1

Whitening of teeth can significantly improve the color of the teeth, smile aesthetics. However the color of the fillings usually is changes after the final shade of the whitened teeth is stabilized.

Miami Cosmetic Dentist

Whitening filled front teeth

+1

When you have fillings in the front of your mouth they are unable to be whitened. If you want to whiten your teeth than I would first and then have your dentist changed the fillings tto match the whitened teeth . That would probably the best way to handle your situation 

Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist