Can you fill a natrelle 350cc saline implant to 440cc (high profile)?

Overfiling Saline Implants

It is a common practise among plastic surgeons to slightly overfill saline implants to decrease wrinkling and minimiza envelope creases that could predispose to rupture.  Extreme over filling makes the implant unnaturally firm. It is better to revisit your choice of implant.

350 cc Saline Overfilled to 440 cc

These are manufacturer recommendations for the size of implants.  Plastic surgeons in the past have overfilled these by 10% or so.  If your goal is to get more volume to fit your chest wall, there are other options.  Mentor saline implants tend to have smaller base diameters for the volumes.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Although some have advocated overfill volume above the recommended it will probably void the warranty.  Having said that, many do fill beyond the posted limit without any problems. There is some distortion that can occur with overfilling. It is best to discuss all aspects of overfill with your plastic surgeon prior to your procedure.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Overfilling Saline Implants

Although saline implants can be "overfilled" to various volumes the recommended fill volume is less. Over filling tends to distort the shape of the implant and can influence rippling, and results in a firmer breast. These decisions should be discussed with a board certified plastic surgeon

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Overfilling Saline Breast Implants?

The simple answer is yes, breast implants can be overfilled quite a bit. However, this may not be in your best interests given that the breast implants may be quite firm and may result in an aesthetic appearance that you are not pleased with.

I would suggest that you communicate your goals clearly with your plastic surgeon; use his/her years of experience to guide you in regards to the best breast implant size/profile that will likely meet your goals. In my practice, I prefer the use of goal pictures to help with this communication process.

Choosing Breast Implants

Implants come in specific sizes, and saline implants with specified fill, for a very good reason. You need to know two things. First, you cannot over inflate a standard implant. Secondly, you should not be choosing the implant without very specific input by your Plastic Surgeon to determine which implants fit your body and your desired outcome. Your job is to inform him or her what you would like to achieve. Their job is to tell you what will work to do do.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Increasing volume of implant

If you want to go that much more, then you should probably have a larger implant placed.  Good luck with yoru decision.

Overfilling saline implants

makes the rippling worse and voids your warranty.  If you really need to increase your size, consider getting new implants. 

Curtis Wong, MD

Overfilling Saline Implants

Most plastic surgeons tend to overfill saline implants a bit to lessen incidence of rippling.  However, filling a 350cc saline implant by 90cc is above the manufacturer's recommendation and would void the warranty.

John Whitt, MD (retired)

Filling saline-filled implants properly

Saline-filled breast implants need to be sized properly, filled properly, and positioned properly to look like gel-filled implants even if they still don't feel like them. In my opinion and experience, filling saline-filled implants beyond 10% of their rated fill volume (35 ccs for a 350 cc implant) is asking for ripples and unnaturalness and may effect how long the implant lasts since it is not made to hold that much. Adjusting the fill volume is a minor advantage of saline implants but beyond 10% I would go to a larger volume or profile implant (with the width still scaled to the breast width). 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Boulder Plastic Surgeon