Should I Fill These Nasolabial Folds, or Should I Wait a Few Years? I Am 27 Years Old. (photo)

I always had nasolabial folds and it was always smt I did not like so much at me, but I never felt it was so huge of a problem..I guess it's my genetics and my bone structure..The last two years, though, its has started to bother me a lot, as it has gone worse! I feel it makes me look older and constantly tired. However, I think that if I start doing derma fillers at 27, what am I going to do when I get 37?? I am struggling with these thoughts.. What is your opinion? Go for it, or wait a bit??

Your right, it's your bone structure.

+2

You are right, it is your bone structure.  Your have a narrow face and your cheekbones are flat and narrow.  Cheek implants can help with that but you may not like the change and they are infamous for looking fake.  They first thing to do is to try a temporary filler like Juvederm or perlane in the cheek bone area, not the folds.  Putting it into the folds just adds volume and weight to the central face, not your cheek bones.  If you like the look of the temporary filler, you can go for something more long lasting.  My preference is transfer of your own fat. 

Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Nasolabial Fold is not always the problem

+2

You appear to have insufficient volume in the area that we refer to as the "apple" of the cheek. That is a larger issue than the nasolabial fold itself.

Because you want to create and maintain visually proportional natural contours, your best option is to consider placing volume in that cheek area which will also "lift" the tissue that creates the shadow from folds. (If you ONLY fill in the nasolabial folds, your face will be quite flat which in essence would only make you appear even older or more tired.

Filler choices: Radiesse is instant and you can get a nice cheek enhancement, but from an overall perspective, Sculptra (a bio stimulator of your own collagen) plus some filler would appear to be a better choice since your doctor has more ability to finesse the way the volume is proportioned..

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Should I Fill These Nasolabial Folds, or Should I Wait a Few Years? I Am 27 Years Old.

+2

We receive many similar sets of photos asking the same question, sent by patients from all over the world.  The reason that you have nasolabial folds at 27, is the anterior (front porion) of the cheeks are quite flat.  This allows the tissues, of the cheeks, to pre-maturely sag towards the mouth creating nasolabial folds.  You can fill out the NLF's with a filler as well as shape the cheeks (I prefer Perlane).  You can also augment the cheeks, at the level of the cheek bone with cheek implants for a permement aesthetic improvement.  

Hate Those Noslabial Folds

+2

I also agree with previous comments to fill the mid face, because your pictures so show volume loss in that area which exacerbates the folds.  By filling in the cheeks, the fold often lifts and you have an overall refreshed look.  There are many filler options; I prefer Sculptra or Radiesse.

Cheryl A. Hull, MD
Rogers Dermatologist

Filler for nasolabial fold

+2
In my opinion filling the nasolabial fold at this stage will have a long term benefit. When the nasolabial fold becomes deep it is hard to correct by just filling the fold. Filler in moderate quantity in my experience help fill up collagen in long run irrespective of the type of filler.

Sanjay Parashar, MD
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Fix NLF by adding cheek volume

+2

I agree with the others who feel that the best way to fix this is to add volume to the mid-cheek. Not only will you soften the NLF but you will augment your cheeks. I would choose Radiesse or Perlane for this. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Your main problem is flattened medial cheek area from fat loss, injecting there is better

+2

Your nasolabial folds are prominent because of the loss of support in the upper medial cheek.  This is most likely related to fat loss, bone loss, or genetic.  Injecting in the medial fat pad area with Restylane or Perlane will greatly improve the nasolabial area.  After that is done, you might want a little in the area right near the nose (piriform area) to make it perfect.  See my video.  Steve Weiner, MD, Facial Plastic Surgeon.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

I would encourage you to have service now.

+2

You will immediately feel better about yourself.  

I agree that you have a longish lower face with a relatively flat cheek plane.  This may represent a lack of maxillary projection.  Having cheek filler one a year, is probably a better option than having orthognathic surgery.  I agree with McNeill that you need more cheek volume than nasolabial volume.  You also could use a hit of volume in the lip edges, the corners of the mouth and in the lateral aspects of the labiomental fold.  The change from two milliliters of Perlane, and one milliliter of Restylane would be profound.

Filling your cheeks will look better than filling your nasolabial folds

+2

I think the prominence of the nasolabial fold is due to loss of volume in your cheeks (loss of your malar fat pad), which is common as we age or lose weight.  

I think it will look better to fill your cheek with either Restylane or Radiesse.  If you fill the nasolabial fold, you will 'chase the line,' but overall give a distorted look to your face.  Filling the cheek will restore the youthful full cheek.  Also once your cheek is lifted, your nasolabial fold will not be so prominent.  

Best, Dr McNeill

Anne Marie McNeill, MD, PhD
Newport Beach Dermatologist

Fillers at a young age

+2

You are fairly young to start your fillers however now a days patients are getting their injectables at a younger age.

They are approved as young as 18. It all the depends on you.

Jhonny Salomon, MD