Can You Fill a Facial Scar with Juvederm?

Can you fill a facial scar in with juvederm? This has been a question that gets both a yes and no answer, Some clarity please.

Scar Correction With Fillers

+1
I would have to see you in person to determine the most suitable course of treatment, however I have treated patients with depressed scars with filler. Juvederm or other facial filler can fill out scar depressions, making the surface of your skin more even and smooth.

Juvederm works well for filling facial scars.

+1

Yes, Juvederm usually works well for filling most depressed facial scars.  Juvederm may also stimulate new collagen over time and assist in permanent or long-term improvement.  

Robert Strimling, MD

Yes juvederm can be used for facial scars

+1

Yes, Juvederm works well to reinflated indented scars.  I believe it also helps to remodel collagen over time, so it can give good long lasting results.  Whether or not it would help your scar depends on the nature of the scar.  A good dermatologist with a lot of experience with fillers should be able to answer the question after seeing the scar. 

Rebecca Baxt, MD
Paramus Dermatologist

Filler tends to bulge out around the scar versus filling the scar.

+1

Some facial scars can be improved by injecting filler such as Juvederm into them. This procedure is primarily used on scars which are depressed but not bound down to the skin below. The filler is injected under the scar to raise the depression and smooth the scar out. Other scars such as chicken pox scars which are depressed but also bound down to the skin below do not improve when injected with filler. The filler tends to bulge out around the scar instead of filling it.

Amy Forman Taub, MD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm for scar correction

+1

A soft tissue filler such as Juvederm can be a good option for facial scar correction, however the type of scar needs to be assessed by a physician to ensure it's amenable to this modality and to discuss expected outcome.

Anatoli Freiman, MD
Toronto Dermatologist

Filling in scars with Juvederm

+1

I have had some good results filling depressed facial scars with Juvederm, Restylane and Perlane. The scar itself doesn't necessarily change, but the indention is less noticeable. A combination of laser resurfacing followed by filler is successful in certain scars. Since every scar is different, a consultation with a dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon is a must. I have a patient who suffered a traumatic facial injury due to a boating accident leaving a depression over her cheek. We place a syringe full of Juvederm once a year and she is very happy with how it looks.

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

JUVEDERM vs scars

+1

this requires you to be seen for any good info.

but i would consider going to a dermatologist who can offer other solutions that may work better or be more affordable

Micki Ly, MD
Maui Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm and Scars.

+1

On an appropriate scar, juvederm can be utilized to fill the scar. Juvederm are not particularly effective for the ice pick or punched out scars. A board certified physician can help you determine if your scar is suitable for a juvederm treatment. Many board certified physician including us offer a free, private consultation.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS