Filing Down the Dorsal Hump?

I have a small dorsal hump that I would like to get fixed on my nose, and was considering closed rhinoplasty. The plastic surgeon informed me that he could just go in and file it down without breaking or fracturing any bones. Does this sound like a good idea? The absolute only thing I want done is the hump shaved down, and it is very small. Will any other part of my nose need fixing if the surgeon simply files the hump down?

Dorsal hump

+3

A small dorsal hump can be approached through a closed rhinoplasty technique. The dorsal hump can be addressed other by filing down the nasal bones for trimming the dorsal cartilage.  It the hump is very small and is largely due to excess dorsal  cartilage then nasal bone osteotomies may not be required.

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filing down a nasal hump in closed rhinoplasty

+3

If the only issue with your nose is the hump, you can absolutely have this addressed with a closed, or endonasal rhinoplasty. In most cases, the hump is comprised of both bone and cartilage and some combination of shaving, filing, and chiseling the hump is utilized.

The important preoperative assessments for the surgeon are the size of the hump, the degree to which the patient wants to lower the bridge, and the length of the nasal bones.  If the patient does not desire a sgnificant bridge reduction ("finesse rhinoplasty") and the patient has adequate support in the middle vault, or bridge area, then simply filing/shaving down the hump may do the trick.

However, If the hump is larger and the nasal bones are on the shorter end, the upper lateral cartilages can lose support with time and the patient can develop an "inverted-V deformity". This can be avoided at the time of surgery with the placement of spreader grafts.

Lastly, if the humps is removed and there is an opening or flat area between the nasal bones (open roof deformity) then controlled fractures of the nasal bones (lateral osteotomies) may be performed at the time of surgery to close this roof and restore a normal appearance to the bridge. 

Regards,

Dr. Mehta

Umang Mehta, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

The dorsal hump and the dorsal aesthetic lines

+2
It is common for patients to have 1 or 2 things that really bother them about their nose. One of the most common concerns that prompts patients to seek rhinoplasty is the dorsal hump (bump). In many instances there are other aspects of the nose that could be improved simultaneously during rhinoplasty; some common problems include tip shape and position, crookedness, and poor nasal airflow. However, often times these problems are imperceptible to the patient presenting for rhinoplasty as they are focused on their major concern. Following surgery, these other problems may be more apparent to the patient once the major concern has been addressed. Additionally, reducing or reshaping the dorsal hump alone can cause a change in the relative proportions of the nose leading to an unbalanced look. Finally, reducing the dorsal hump without adequately addressing the nasal bones and transition point from the bones above to cartilages below can lead to several deformities and a suboptimal look. When widely situated bones are not osteotomized (broken) and moved in after the hump is taken down, problems including excessive width at the site of the dorsal hump on frontal view or an inverted-V deformity (upside down shadowing in the shape of a V on frontal view) may be created. The dorsal aesthetic lines can also appear flared and irregular in the area of the hump. The dorsal aesthetic lines are visible on frontal view and are the right and left light reflections that start at the medial aspects of the eyebrows, gently taper inward, proceed in straight down the right and left sides of the dorsum and then gently taper outward at the tip. Creating smooth and straight dorsal aesthetic lines should be a goal as well when reducing a dorsal hump as problems from the frontal view are very bothersome to patients since most of the time that we tend to see ourselves is straight on while looking in the mirror. Ill-defined or irregular dorsal aesthetic lines tends to be a common complaint from patients seeking revision rhinoplasty.

Jamil Ahmad, MD

Small nasal hump can be removed with a Closed Rhinoplasty

+2

If the nasal hump is small and consists only of extra nasal bone a simply filing with a closed rhinoplasty approach is sufficient. If the hump is larger or involves the upper lateral cartilages of the middle of the nose than simple removal may cause a flat spot called an open roof deformity. When this is the case the nasal bones nee to be brought closed together by infracturing the nasal bones to recreate the natural pyramid of the nose.

Andrew Jacono, MD

Hump Removal via a Closed Rhinoplasty

+2

Patients with a dorsal hump are ideal candidates for closed rhinoplasty. A dorsal hump is usually comprised of both bone and cartilage.

To remove a hump, an incision is made on the inside of the nose and a rasp is used to "file" the bony portion of the hump. If there is a cartilaginous component to the hump, this is trimmed with a scalpel.

One result of a hump removal is that it makes the bridge wider and may require osteotomies (breaking the nasal bones) to narrow the width of the bridge.

If your bridge is narrow, this may not be as much of a concern. However, if your bridge is currently a normal width or wide, hump removal with osteotomies may make your bridge even wider.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Closed Rhinoplasty

+2

If your only issue is a dorsal hump, a closed rhinoplasty can be a great way to treat the contour of the dorsum with rasping. Rhinoplasty surgery is very complicated and the balance, shape and integration of the structure of your nose with the rest of the face is a critical consideration when planning what you do and don't need. In my San Francisco area practice we spend significant time analyzing the face. Make sure that your plastic surgeon spends considerable time discussing things like the projection of your nose, the angle of the tip, the shape of the tip of your nose, the shape and contour of your nostrils, the balance of your nose in comparison to the shape and projection of your chin, etc. (the list of things to review is actually quite extensive). If at that point your surgeon and you agree that it is only the dorsal hump should be addressed then a closed rhinoplasty is an effective way to treat this.

Steven Williams, MD

Steven H. Williams, MD

Closed rhinoplasty for a small hump

+1
Without seeing your pictures, I can only make some generalized comments. Being trained in both open and closed rhinoplasty, the only reason that I do closed rhinoplasty any more is for a isolated hump reduction. That being said, there is usually some tip work that needs to be done and an open rhinoplasty is so much better for that portion. There are a few cases that I do see that truly require soley a hump reduction and a closed rhinoplasty is perfect for those.

Paul E. Chasan, MD
Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Sounds reasonable

+1
Small bumps can be treated by simply filing them down. An incision is made inside the nose to introduce the small "file" or any other insrument that is needed to trim down the heighth of the bump.

Stephan Finical, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Just the hump

+1
It may be "just the hump" but the nose is a complex structure and all the parts are interrelated. Think of the nose as a tunnel not a solid structure and depending upon the thickness of the bone and cartilage a simple rasp can lead to an open area between the sidewalls.  And the thing about rhinoplasty is that deficiencies in technique often do not reveal themselves for many months or even years as swelling subsides and tissues thin with the aging process.  Many plastic surgeons prefer to address the nose as a separation of its components--much like taking apart a watch--and then reassembling in painstaking fashion.  This is the advantage of open rhinoplasty.  Nonetheless there are some very skilled surgeons who do closed rhinoplasty and will know if your nose could be managed that way.

R. Laurence Berkowitz, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Filing a small hump makes a nice change...

+1
If the hump is small it can certainly be filed down without breaking the bones through a closed approach. If the bump is larger, then the nasal bones will need to be brought in to regain the proper shape of the nose. It is most important to find an experienced surgeon who knows which way it needs to be done.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon