Would Filing Down the Dorsal Hump Be Suitable to Improve the Profile of my Nose?

I'm unhappy with the profile of my nose. (I don't have a problem with it face on.) I'm asking whether i appear to be suitable for such a procedure, what the risks are, and whether filing/rasping the nose is usually cheaper than a rhinoplasty that involves breaking bones. I have read that 'shaving down a bony hump may cause a flattened appearance which will then need to be infractured to close the the "open" roof.' Would this all be done in one session?

Rhinoplasty Hump

+2

Good photography.  You would be a good candidate for rasping down the nasal hump.  In your case, based on the size of your hump and narrowness of your nasal vault,  I don't think you need osteotomies. 

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal hump

+2

I would first thank you for the excellent photos. And yes I would file down the hump very slightly than do a fracture. That is my opinion. From MIAMI DR B

Good candidate for the rhinoplasty

+1
Thank you for your inquiry!

It seems that you are a good candidate for a rhinoplasty that will improve the way your nose looks to complement your facial features in a natural fashion. However, without a physical examination it is not possible to provide you with specific details. I highly recommend that you schedule a consultation with a well-experienced surgeon. As for the risks associated with filing the bump down if taken to the extremes is the open roof deformity where the nasal bones will be seen through the skin.

It is important to mention that the finest cosmetic results in any particular case are based on a variety of factors, including: the unique anatomy of the patient, realistic expectations, a well-informed and detailed discussion with your plastic surgeon concerning the best options for you especially covering a deep understanding of the pros and cons of any given choice you will adopt.

Please keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon online who offers to tell you what to do without a physical examination covering the nature and the status of the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative solution would not be in your best interest. With that in mind, it is the safest and for your best interest to find a plastic surgeon with solid experience and certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who is ideally a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons that you will trust and be comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Good luck!!!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Removing dorsal hump to improve profile

+1

Performing a rhinoplasty usually includes taking the bone and cartilaginous hump down. Once this is done, osteotomies are performed to complete the dorsal reduction and prevent open roof deformity. Most rhinoplasty procedures are all done in one session. There is approximately 10% chance of having to perform a touchup or revision rhinoplasty within the first year after the surgery in case a small hump grows back.

Improving Nasal Profile

+1

The hump can be removed so you have a strong, straight profile. It will be necessary to reposition the nasal bones during the same surgery to avoid a wide, flat "open roof" appearace.

Simple rasping down of dorsum

+1

We are at a point in plastic surgery where many people who have minor issues with their appearance can be helped.  A rasping of the dorsum can be performed without other procedures under mild sedation.  If the rasping is extensive then other additional procedures may be required.

Tal Raine MD

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Dorsal Hump Improvement Rhinoplasty

+1

Yes, nasal humps may be improved with rasping, filing, or burring down the nasal bones. Dorsal humps are made of bone, cartilage, or both. Once the bump is treated, then the nasal bones may need to be brought closer together to "close the open roof". Your plastic surgeon will help determine if bone in-fracture is required prior to rhinoplasty surgery. This nasal bone narrowing would be done at the same time as hump reduction, and normally is included in the cost of rhinoplasty.

Rhinoplasty is not one operation, but rather many potential procedures to improve the appearance and function of the nose. The cost of rhinoplasty varies greatly, but it's usually similar for plastic surgeons in your area. Portions of rhinoplasty surgery may also be covered by your insurance provider. After a comprehensive evaluation can your plastic surgeon help determine appropriate options for you.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filing a Hump off the back of the Nose would require in breaking of the Nose

+1
From the photos provided, your nose is eminently fixable. The hump can be reduced by filing or power burring but the lower smoother roof of the nose will be wide and poem. In-fracturing of the walls would be required to convert the nose from a wide, open roofed nose to a narrow more attractice nose.

Reducing the dorsal hump and infracture in rhinoplasty

+1

Reduction of the dorsal hump is possible through rasping the bones, and this may result in an open roof where the nasal bones are separated from the septum. Achieving a smooth dorsum would then require infracture to reposition the nasal bones. All of these maneuvers would be possible in one operative session.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Dorsal hump

+1

Filing down the dorsal hump is reasonable but you will probably need infracturing. Also in the front view you have some curvature( or shadowing from the photo) that you may want corrected.