What Is My Best Option To Treat The Hanging Skin On My Stomach? (photo)

I definitely have gynecomastia, and as can be seen probably in the picture from the front angle. I am definitely getting surgery for this. Do you believe I need a full tummy tuck in order to fix the hang in my stomach? Is there any other way? I used to be heavy as you can probably tell. Also, would the tummy tuck get rid of some of the stretch marks on my stomach? If so, how? Sorry about the pictures, I did the best I could. I can try again if insufficient, let me know please. Thank you.

Tummy tuck usually preferable to a mini

+1

Your skin is a little too loose for liposuction alone (although you could always have liposuction and return for a tummy tuck).  A "limited" or "mini" tummy tuck sounds appealing, but the results are also limited and mini.  I find it better to get the job done properly with a full tummy tuck.  This way the skin tone is tightened maximally.  Otherwise, with a mini, you will still have loose skin of the upper abdomen.  The difference is that in a full tummy tuck the belly button is released so the skin can be pulled down.  This is explained a little more on my website.  Plus you can look at photos of men who have had this procedure (see last patient on attached link).  Also, you can visit the section on breast reduction in men.  You might be sufficiently treated with liposuction alone in the breasts.

Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Mini tummy tuck to reduce skin laxity below belly button

+1

I would consider a more limited tummy tuck or the mini.  This would address the main area of skin laxity.   If you wanted some additional volume reduction, then consider adding liposuction to the mix or even consider Slim Lipo for further skin tightening in the areas that are not got going to be addressed by the mini-tummy tuck (e.g. flanks, or above the belly button).  Good luck.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Tummy tuck for excess skin

+1

A limited tummy tuck would likely meet the goal you are trying to accomplish by removing only the excess skin at the lower part of your abdomen.

This will address the stretch marks in the lower skin but not any that you have above your belly button.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

A mini tummy tuck looks like a better option

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss!  I am sure it was not easy! Unfortunately you are left with loose skin  and the only way to address this problem is to remove it. It is hard to judge it based only on your pictures and without exam but I would probably recommend a mini tummy tuck - it offers lower position for the scar and no scvar around the belly button - much more comfortable for a man! 

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

Male tummy tuck

+1

Your situation looks like you would obtain some worthwhile  improvement with a mini tummy tuck as opposed to a full tummy tuck since most of your loose skin is below your umbilicus. This will avoid a scar around the belly button and the surgery should be shorter  with an easier recovery.  The cost might also be less compared to a full tummy tuck.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Loose abdominal skin following weight loss

+1

The only way to get rid of loose skin is excision. For you this could be either a full tummy tuck with repositioning of the belly button or possibly a mini with just excision of the extra skin. (Liposuction would probably make the overhanging skin worse.) You should have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who can examine you and discuss the different options available to you and how they address your concerns and whether the gynecomastia and abdomen can be addressed during the same surgery. You've done the hard part very successfully. Good luck with completing your new body.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Excess skin laxity will need to be removed

+1

Congratulations on the weight loss.  In general excess skin laxity can only be sufficiently corrected by removal.  If you were a woman I would recommend a full tummy tuck, but I am more conservative with men.  I think a more conservative procedure would suit you better.  Look into a mini-tummy tuck to address the overhanging skin only.  The incision should be kept very low well within your swim trunk borders.  If you choose to get a full tummy tuck down the road you can certainly do so without any issues.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Treatment for lax abdominal skin in male with weight loss

+1

Because you have lax abdominal skin, you need a skin tightening procedure. Liposuction which just addresses fat will not correct your problem. What kind and the extent of the tummy tuck that you would benefit from could be determined by a physical examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. This procedure can easily and prudently be performed along with your planned gynecomastia procedure.

Good lcuk!

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

To correct a lot of loose abdominal skin, you really need a full tummy tuck.

+1

Hi.

1)  That's what you need judging by your pictures.  It should be fairly simple since it looks like you don't need significant muscle work (problem is just loose skin).  I think anything less will leave you disappointed.

2)  Tummy tuck should be done together with gynecomastia correction.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Surgery for loose skin of the abdomen

+1

You've done the difficult part which is losing the weight.  As far as the gynecomastia you asked about, this condition involves the development of breast glandular tissue typically in the area under the areola, there may be a fatty component as well extending to the entire chest.  This condition cannot be readily diagnosed through your photographs but in your case is likely secondary to your previous excess weight.  Typically it may be addressed with liposuction and possibly a small incision near the areola to remove more fibrous tissue.  As far as the loose skin on the abdomen, likely a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) will be the best option.

Sean A. Simon, MD