Abdominoplasty for Obese Patient with Fibromyalgia?

Due to 7 years of severe Fibromyalgia, and countless battles with weight loss with no reuslts and subsequent flare ups due to exercising, I feel like giving up.

I would love to just have abdominoplasty to correct the pouchy very sagging belly and also a Facelift at 42, to correct body flaws and loss of collagen. But I am 250lbs, 5'8" and I always hear that obese people should lose weight first. I simply cannot, and exercising is difficult due to after effects. It's frustrating! What should I do, please?

Abdominoplasty is an unlikely solution to obesity

+2

Unfortunately, abdominoplasty offers no refuge from obesity and overeating. Though exercise can be important, the most critical factor in weight loss is understanding what you eat, and why you eat.

Tummy tuck, or even liposuction seems an attractive solution, however both cosmetic procedures will have little effect on the reduction of overall body weight.

Start your search within yourself, perhaps with a group program or individual therapy. Tummy tuck will follow as a just reward when you reach your weight goal and get your life back on track.

Best of luck.

Tummy tuck vs lap band

+2

It is physically impossible not to be able to lose weight. At your weight a tummy tuck would not be safe or worthwhile. You should consult a weight loss surgeon about a stomach restriction operation. You'd be amazed how much less your body will hurt when the excess weight is down. Then do the TT later.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

OK to do conservative tummy tuck on overweight patient.

+1

Hi.

I don't agree with my colleagues. I think some overweight patients benefit by having no undermining tummy tuck, with only slightly increased risk. Of course you will still be overweight, but your stomach will be a lot flatter, and you will feel better.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Abdominoplasty for obese patient with Fibromyalgia

+1

Very risky to have surgery at that weight of 250 pounds. I would require a pre operative endocrine and medical clearance. Also, I would ONLY do the operation in a hospital setting. Best is to obtain help from internal medicine doctors to start weight loss. Best of luck.

Abdominoplasty and Fibromyalgia

+1

Abdominoplasty at this stage is probably not the best idea for health reasons, and because your cosmetic outcome won't be as good as it could be.

There are many wellness centers now where a more global approach is taken to weight loss, which includes nutrition counseling, assistance with an exercise regimen that you can tolerate, counseling, and possible referral for bariatric surgery.

Call an academic hospital close to you to see if they can recommend a place like this where all of your issues can be addressed. Good luck and best wishes.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Weight, Fibromyalgia and Abdominoplasty

+1

You need to be seen by physicians who are experts in weight loss. I would even go so far as to suggest that you consider a gastric bypass progam. You are high risk for continued obesity and this is going to make your fibromyalgia worse.

Your obesity will also get worse. You need to find a starting point and that would be weight loss. Once you get the weight loss going you will feel better and move better. After getting close to your goal weight you can start thinking about a Tummy tuck,

Good luck.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss first before abdominoplasty

+1

You have a BMI of 38 or so which puts you in the obese bordering on extremely obese category. You are a high risk for hypertension, diabetes, wound healing problems after surgery and pulmonary emboli. You need to control your weight. You should be on a medically controlled weight loss program prior to contemplating surgery.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD