I Have Fibromyalgia. My PS Says the New Gummy Bear Implants May Be Contraindicated for my Condition?

Fibromyalgia and Silicone Gel Brass Implants?

+1

Thank you for the question.  You may wish to review the FDA website pages regarding silicone gel breast implants.  Additional consultations with board-certified plastic surgeons may also be worthwhile. To date, there have been no  shown association  between rheumatologic disease and silicone gel breast implants.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastAugmentation.htm

Fibromyalgia and breast implants

+1

All the studies have shown no definite link between implants and fibromyalgia, at least so far.  It is not surprising that a surgeon would advise against implants because of all the mess we plastic surgeons had to go through with this issue in the past.  I would also play it safe and not advise implants, but you will always be able to find somebody to do the surgery if you really want it.

Web reference: http://edelsonplastic.com/breast/breast-augmentation/

Fibromyalgia and Silicone Gel Implants

+1

To confirm, there are no contraindications from the FDA.  The two available gummy bear implants, the 410 from Allergan and the shaped implants from Sientra, are both highly cohesive, shaped and textured implants that have an excellent performance record compared to their moderately cohesive silicone gel and saline counterparts.

Be sure you see plastic surgeons that have a lot of experience in using these devices to get the best results and the lowest risk of complications.   They require meticulous surgical  technique to create a snug pocket for them to fit into, something that many surgeons are not used to doing.  However, these devices will give you the most natural and predictable upper pole fullness compared to the others.  These are the my preferred implants by far!

Web reference: http://www.drminniti.com

My PS Says the New Gummy Bear Implants May Be Contraindicated for my Condition?

+1

You might want to consider a second opinion from another surgeon. There are no known associations between silicone imlants and all the studied  rheumatological illnesses, and the studies have been extensive. 

All the best. 

Gummy bear implants and fibromyalgia

+1

There is no known causal connection between the new gummy bear implants and fibromyalgia.  These implants have been studied at great length specifically to rule out such links, which have not been established.  Best of luck to you.

Gummy Bear Breast Implants in someone with Fibromyalgia

+1

There is no contraindication to using the new highly cohesive silicone implants (the so called "Gummy Bear implants which is what all silicone implants are now). The data that confirms this is from a multitude of studies done over the last 20 years (the most intense study ever of any medical device) after the FDA had some question of implant safety including the causation of collagen vascular diseases. Almost all board certified plastic surgeons are aware of this since our societies send information about such data and the data are also in our journals. There are, however, a number of physicians calling themselves plastic surgeons that are not board certified and, thus, not in our societies to receive this information and, frequently, do not read the journals to keep up with the latest literature.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Fibromyalgia and Cohesive Gel (Gummy Bear) Implants

+1

Dear Bobbiewish,  Highly cohesive silicone gel filled implants are some of the most intensely studied medical devices in the history of the FDA.  To my knowledge, there has been no linkage between the highly cohesive gel implants and fibromyalgia to date.  A second opinion with a plastic surgeon who has been an investigator with these newer generation implants may be recommended.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

No connection or contraindication between gel implants and fibromyalgia

+1

In the dark days for breast implants there was a contraindiction for the use of gel implants if the patient had a connective tissue disease.  There is no such contraindication today.  There have been numerous studies showing the safety of breast implants.  For more information you may want to go to the web site.  Breast Implant Safety .org 

Web reference: http://www.breastimplantsafety.org

Fibromyalgia and breast implants

+1

There have been many studies on breast implants and fibromyalgia and to my knowledge, there is only one which has shown a weak link to fibromyalgia in patients with rupture implants with extracapsular spread of the silicone (i.e. the silicone gel has gone beyond the scar tissue capsule that surrounds the implant).  It is very unlikely that ruptured "gummy bear" implants would ever have extracapsular migration of the free  silicone.  No studies have linked "gummy bear" implants with fibromyalgia.  Fibromyalgia is a complex disease so check with your rheumatologist before proceeding with surgery.  I, personally, have put dozens of silicone implants in fibromyalgia patients and not one of them ever reported aggravation of their symptoms.

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Gummy Bear Implants and Fibromyalgia

+1

I have never heard of fibromyalgia being a contraindication for using cohesive silicone gel breast implants.  You might want to get a second opinion from another plastic surgeon if your first one does not feel comfortable with your situation.