How Does Fibrocystic Breast Condition Affect Breast Reduction?

My GP has recommended breast reduction because of neck/back/headaches. I'm at a healthy, stable BMI, but wear a 32H, and the cup size keeps growing! I suspect worsening fibrocystitis is making my breasts larger. But I am nearing menopause, and have heard that will ease the fibrocystitis. What changes might I naturally see in fibrocystic breast condition after menopause? In breast size? Does FBC complicate reduction surgery or results?

Breast Reduction and Fibrocystic Disease?

+1

I think your general practitioner has made a good recommendation. The presence of fibrocystic breasts should not necessarily complicate breast reduction surgery. Your only regret may be that you have not done it sooner.

Breast Reduction is somewhat preferable in women with dense breasts

+1

Breast reduction addresses excess breast skin, breast tissue (both glandular as well as fat), reshapes the appearance and migrates the nipple-areolar complex to a more superior position.  My breast reduction patients often ask me how long their breast reduction results will last.  My response is circumspect and based on the fact that weight gain, hormonal changes (pregnancy and/or menopause) can change the fat composition of the breast.  Moreover, when the composition of breast glandular tissue to fat is high, the shape of the breasts are better preserved.  It would be my opinion that the shape and position of your reduced breasts should be stable for some time.  Good luck.

Lavinia Chong, MD

Effects of Fibrocystic Tissues on Breast Reduction

+1

Hi there-

There is no reason to believe that breast tissue that is of a fibrocystic nature will affect your surgeon's ability to safely and successfully perform a breast reduction for you, provided you select a skilled surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery.

In fact, most women with mammary hypertrophy have breast tissue that is dense and fibrocystic in quality.

I would not expect menopause to significantly change your situation.

If you would like some help finding a surgeon you like and feel you can trust, please read this:

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Large Symptomatic Breasts WILL Improve with Breast Reduction

+1

Menopause will not change the size of your breasts. In my opinion, much of your symptoms are related to the sheer size of your breasts than to fibrocystic disease. As a result, a reduction in the size of the breasts is likely to greatly improve your symptoms.

Fibrocystic disease & breast reduction

+1

It sounds as if your are an ideal candidate for a reduction.  The fibrocystic disease should have no ill effects on your reduction.  On the other hand, a reduction may well lead to decrease in your discomfort from the FCD simply by removing weight from your breasts.  Changes in hormones with menopause do usually lead to some resolution of the FCD.

John Whitt, MD

Fibrocystis breast disease

+1

Menopause untreated will usually ease the symptoms of fibrocystic breasts and the lesions will usually shrink to some degree.  The breasts also tend to atrophy, or reduce.  Most women will get fibrocysts in their breasts and this will not have a specific impact on the surgery.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Breast reduction and fibrocystic breasts

+1

Fibrocystic breast are a very common finding and I doubt that this condition is contributing to your enlarging breasts. One cannot exactly predict how this condition will change with your menopause, but I doubt that your breast size will decrease. The presence of fibrocystic disease will not really effect your breast reduction surgery.

Bruce Genter, MD
Abington Plastic Surgeon

Fibrocystic breasts will not preclude breast reduction

+1

The presence of fibrocystic changes in the breast do increase as individuals approach menopause and are a regular mammographic finding in very large breasts. We often see fibrocystic changes as incidental findings during breast reduction. These changes do not prevent breast reduction not do they add to the complications seen in breast reduction. If your mammogram is OK, fibrocystic disease will not affect your breast reduction results.

peterejohnsonmd

Fibrocystic breasts can have breast reduction.

+1

Hi.

Sounds like you really should have a breast reduction. Your breasts will not shrink much after menopause. Fibrocystic condition does not make surgery more difficult or the results worse.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)