Fibroadenoma & Breast Implants - Removal During Implant Surgery or Before?

Have a benign small fibroadenoma that i'd like removed. I have a breast augmentation / tummy tuck consult scheduled in 2 weeks. Can surgeon remove it during my surgery, or should I have this procedure done separately before augmentation? There is no breast cancer history in my family. I am 45.

Fibroadenoma Removal during Breast Implant Surgery?

+2

Yes, a lesion that has been worked up and found to be a fibroadenoma can be removed during the time of breast augmentation surgery. This is especially true if the lesion is close to the planned incision for the breast surgery.

Given that you are about to undergo major surgery you may find the following suggestions helpful:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_mommyMakeover.htm

Breast lumps can be removed during cosmetic surgery

+2

If you have a biopsy-proven benign lesion/lump in your breast, there is no reason why this cannot be treated at the time of your breast augmentation if it is accessible at that time.  Your plastic surgeon should discuss with you how this will impact his procedure, and what would be the consequence of this if the pathology should come back as anything other than a benign lesion.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD, FRCSC

Web reference: Http://Www.Torontosurgery.ca

Fibroadenoma removal

+2

Any new breast mass found at your age should be investigated and diagnosed prior to breast surgery of a cosmetic nature.

Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Breast mass removed at time of breast augmentation

+2

It is best to have a tissue diagnosis to better evaluate your breast mass before any elective breast surgery.  You no doubt have had a mammogram pre operatively which can lead one to feel that this mass is a fibroadenoma.  A fine needle aspiration done in the office should yield you a result.  If the biopsy is benign, it would be up to your plastic surgeon's judgement as to how to proceed. 

Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Evaluate breast lumps before breast augmentation

+2

You may indeed have a fribroadenoma, though perhaps not. We recommend that any breast lump be fully evaluated and sorted out before a breast augmentation.

Best of luck

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com

Fibroadenoma?

+2

How do you know the mass is a fibroadenoma?  You might be better off having this evaluated first before having an implant procedure performed.

Biopsy with Augmentation

+2

It's not unusual for me to remove a breast lesion during your augmentation.  Typically, these are for lesions that are palpable and, often, these lesions can be removed from your augmentation incision to avoid additional scars.  This isn't always possible. In my facility I can actually perform an ultrasound-guided biopsy if the lesion is not palpable although most surgeons likely don't typically have the equipment necessary for this.  Although it's nice to avoid a second procedure, removing the fibroadenoma can safely be done before or after surgery.

Web reference: http://www.psurgery.com